• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Dave Haylett

Replicating other process window output to a bitmap?

This topic is 965 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This might sound crazy and I guess it's not possible, but if I have the process ID of a totally separate Windows process (application) that's currently running, is it possible to replicate the graphical output of that window inside my application?

E.g. my application is running, user clicks something, I use System.Diagnostics.Process.Start to fire off an executable, but I'd like that executable to start minimised, and for the graphical output of that minimised application to instead be rendered in realtime in my own application, say in a bitmap window.

Enjoy :/

Advertisement
I'm not sure of the code you'll need to do this, probably you'd use DXGI capture.

You will need to run your game as administrator with elevated privileges as you can't just access the frame buffer of other applications as a normal user for obvious security reasons. This might discourage certain types of players from playing your game.

I'm not sure of the code you'll need to do this, probably you'd use DXGI capture.

You will need to run your game as administrator with elevated privileges as you can't just access the frame buffer of other applications as a normal user for obvious security reasons. This might discourage certain types of players from playing your game.

Hmm ok thanks braindigitalis. This functionality is right at the bottom of my list at the moment so no matter if it's not possible to do. The thing I'm trying to do is kind of integrate a 16-bit machine emulator into my "menu" system, to make the experience a bit more smooth, and not jumping between emulator, to my app, to emulator, etc.

Hmm well I keep coming back to this and having another poke around Google here and there and stumbled across the Desktop Windows Manager. It looks like it allows you to register interest in "live thumbnails" from any given window. Below seems to be a good example whereby the user can select any current window from a drop-down and see a live thumbnail of changeable size. It is a very old post so I wonder if DWM is still around or if there is now an even better way of doing it. I've not had the chance to try to get this working yet, and my added challenge will be that I need to get the live thumbnail Blitted to a WriteableBitmap if that's at all possible.

http://community.bartdesmet.net/blogs/bart/archive/2006/10/05/4495.aspx

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!