VC++ rebuilding everything

Started by
10 comments, last by Spartacus 22 years, 4 months ago
Okay, this is a really really annoying problem. I have a rather large project going on and I compile the project and run it fairly often to check if everything is working. But suddenly VC++ want''s to rebuild all files everytime I try to run the application, even though only a few files has changed. So even if only one source file (.cpp, not .h because that could cause a complete rebuild) has changed all 20 files is rebuild. Can someone tell me what I can do to fix this problem? I have tried to create a new project but the problem is still there. I don''t know what to do about this and I really hope someone can help me out. Thanks

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write it should be hard to understand

Advertisement
I had this problem too. For me deleting the files in the /debug or /release directory worked. If this doesn''t help try to put all .cpp and .h files that are "finished" into one huge .lib file. That really shortens linking times.
Well, it doesn''t help to delete all the files in the \debug and \release directories. But thanks for trying to help anyway. Isn''t there some way to turn this thing on and off??? This is really driving me crazy and I hope someone knows how to fix it.

Thanks

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write it should be hard to understand

Remember, sometimes when you change something as simple as one little line in a header file.. all the files will need to be recompilied. It just depends on the dependencies.

I have once received this problem... but I am not sure if for the same reasons. It occured when I was saving the files and modifying them directly over a network drive that was running on a linux samba server. The system would keep refreshing the connection making the compiler (for some reason) think that the file had changed.

I have long since fixed that by changing a few options in the samba server.

Gamedev''s AI Auto-Reply bot.
Gamedev's AI Auto-Reply bot.
Well like skrwX said try to take some of the code and make a static library out of it. Also these errors will also make you think about your organization...

Try to remove as many includes in each file as possible. You could possibly including stuff that you don''t need.

Pactuul
-Pac "The thing I like about friends in my classes is that they can't access my private members directly." "When listening to some one tell about their problem (whether it's code or not), don't listen to what went right or wrong, but what they assumed....."
My organizing is just fine and is not the problem. Let me give you an example of my problem:
I create a completely new windows application project, and when the appwiz asks me what kind of windows app I would like to create, I chose "A simple win32 application". Now immediately after creating the project, and without modifying anything, I rebuild the application. When the rebuild finishes I go to the "build" menu an chose "Execute ?.exe". Even though I have just rebuild the application, MSDEV prompts me to rebuild all files in the project. And it does so every time I execute the application even though no changes has been made.
But there is one exception, because if I create a console application instead, everything works just fine.

Thanks again.

That''s not an MSVC error; it''s a fault in your installation of MSVC, which could be due to virtually anything (given how apps interact).

Just a couple of redundant questions:
  1. You do have precompiled headers enabled, don''t you?

2. Hopefully you haven''t put a bunch of includes in your stdafx.h. Whenever you mody any of those, your PCH is invalidated and everything has to be rebuilt.

Barring the above, well, you''re screwed.
I''ve had this problem too, and I did not have to re-install VC++ to fix it. I would try re-making the project (ie, start the project file over from scratch). Clean all the output files the compiler creates too. I think this is how I fixed it, but I''m not sure, it hasn''t happened to me in a while.

Desert Fox
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry
Well, I got tired of trying to correct this problem so I reinstalled MSVC, and that corrected the problem. Yes I have precompiled headers enabled and no I do not have many includes in stdafx.h. The only one I have is windows.h. And hopefully that one doesn''t change very often.
Thanks to all of you who have been trying to help me.

-René

hey Spartacus, aren''t you the one that released that cool md2 model demo with a room with a few wings in it and water on the ground, like a few years ago? How''s the project coming?
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement