• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
darcmagik

DX11 Loading images in DirectX 11 to use as textures and sprites

This topic is 1051 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I'm working on an Indie project for my startup and I am working on the graphics system for the game.  I'm trying to get textures loaded and displayed on the screen but with the removal of the d3dx11.h header and all of the useful stuff that it brought with it I'm forced to figure out another way to load images into textures.  I have looked into DirectXTK as a possibility but I would really like to learn how to do this stuff on my own.  The problem I'm running into is figuring out how to load various image file formats into memory to place into a ID3D11Texture2D.  Does anybody know of any good resource material on the topic?  I've been reading a lot of different sites about the topic and half of them talk about the old d3dx11 header and everything in there, and the other half just talks about using DirectXTK.

In case the question comes up the reason why I'm trying to stick with DirectX 11 for this project is that we are hoping to get approved in the next few months to also develop this project on XBOXONE so I wanted to stick to an API that will work on both PC and console.

Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated and if you need more info please let me know.

Advertisement
You can use directxtex, a loader that can load dds and other graphics files or you can use WIC. WIC is windows own image loading library which is pluggable, so if windows can load that format so can you if you use WIC.

In one of my games I used WIC to load sprites and textures from png files.

This isn't the most efficient way to do it and you're better off converting to dds or a format that closely matches the memory format of the image as part of your build process as this means less parsing to load assets, but png is friendly to modding so that's why I chose it.

Have fun!

You can use directxtex, a loader that can load dds and other graphics files or you can use WIC. WIC is windows own image loading library which is pluggable, so if windows can load that format so can you if you use WIC.

In one of my games I used WIC to load sprites and textures from png files.

This isn't the most efficient way to do it and you're better off converting to dds or a format that closely matches the memory format of the image as part of your build process as this means less parsing to load assets, but png is friendly to modding so that's why I chose it.

Have fun!

I've used WIC successfully as well. Its not 'optimal' but still a solid route, and very easy I might add.

The link to ChuckW's blog post above is terribly out of date, I'm afraid. What you actually want is this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/chuckw/archive/2015/08/05/where-is-the-directx-sdk-2015-edition.aspx

Which leads to DirectXTex:

https://github.com/Microsoft/DirectXTex

Which is a wonderfully simple library to use. Copy WICTextureLoader and DDSTextureLoader into your codebase and enjoy single function call texture loading.

P.S. Call CoInitialize near the beginning of your main function, or WIC won't work.

Edited by Promit

Wow I thank everybody for the responses and when I said various image formats I was simply unsure what I was going to use, I am probably going to use DDS for my textures but I wasn't 100% certain.  The more I research things the more unsure I am about what I want to do.  I have read more about DirectXTK and do see a major benefit to its use in a project with it being supported on PC and Console.

The part that I'm trying to wrap my head around is that from what I can tell you don't get any control over resource management and memory management with using it.  I'm just trying to figure out if it will be a problem or not.  I was using a system for resource management that uses a template class with a stack used to hold the actual resources.  I use a different resource manager for each type of Resource.

I'm not opposed to changing this system or other parts of my code to make it better and more robust I'm just trying to make sure I'm making the correct choice.  The game that my company is trying to release is going to be a platformer mainly side scrolling with some in and out of the screen movement if that makes sense.  It will be similar to Mega Man style in the sense that you will go to a "world" in the game world that it will load and the player can explore that section of the map.

resource management and memory management

If you use the DirectXTex library you need to be cool with COM (you're already using dx right?) and WIC calls. If that's a deal breaker you can roll your own dds loader, WIC is only really useful for loading more complex formats like jpeg or png. The downside to dds files is simply that they're large and don't trivially compress that great but I doubt this is a pressing matter for you.

Edited by Dingleberry

Thanks for the response again and I have decided to use the DirectXTK in my project and I'm learning how to make its various systems work in my engine.  I am very happy to say that I am making some great progress in making my game.  The more I looked into the resource management of DirectXTK I like it.

Thanks for everybody's help deciding what to do.

resource management and memory management

If you use the DirectXTex library you need to be cool with COM (you're already using dx right?) and WIC calls. If that's a deal breaker you can roll your own dds loader, WIC is only really useful for loading more complex formats like jpeg or png. The downside to dds files is simply that they're large and don't trivially compress that great but I doubt this is a pressing matter for you.
DDS textures will compress quite nicely if you use the right compression format for the textures. What's more, most graphics cards these days support the compression formats natively and all are supported by directx , so you send the card compressed texture data and if decompresses it on the fly for you, saving graphics ram and processing time. There are many options for compressing dds textures, some lossy and some not, some supporting alpha channels of varied depths and some not, both affect the compression ratio.

Check it out, you'll be glad you did, I could use it to get a dds down from several megs to about the same size as a 24 bit compressed png for equal dimensions of image file (1024x1024)... It's well worth it...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!