Dungeon Crawler [WIP]

Started by
3 comments, last by MillyLamp 8 years, 2 months ago

Designing and figuring out how its going to work.

So I am unsure where to put this so I hope it in the appropriate forum. Yesterday I was up all night searching for a explanation on how to create a dungeon crawler..... a 2D one. I can probably figure out a 3d with tutorials from other game but there is close to nothing on a 2d dungeon crawler (which is the one I chose). Not even a engine. I'm quite surprised.

So I decided to try and figure it out myself. Yay.

So I was up all night thinking of possible way to make a dungeon crawler happen. There was a couple ways I came up with or thought off (they've most likely have been done before).

I could make a prerendered video of the 3D dungeon along with the interactions and daisy link them all together with commands and let the player control the motion and stuff like that..... overall that'll give a 3d game with out getting overly complicated and stuff. lol the only thing is fighting system would be much work, three possible options could be switching to 2D fighting system or make 3D sprites of players and enemies or give it the old visual novel type fighting system.

or

I can go completely 2d which may be a little harder or easier. I can possibly layout a few texture pieces (somehow show motion) and overlay them with story objects. (all using a template) . If possible I can map texture and layout set up to different numbers or something and uses them to randomly generate maps. I'm not really sure how far I can go with this one or what I want and need to do. but this is the one i chose.... at the moment I can not afford any 3D items, nor are my 3D skills good enough. So i'll stick with the cheaper version.

Ok so far so good, I think. Right now I am working on a good layout. I am still learning xml and java. Honestly I am still a beginner but I learn better when I have a project to do.

Next thing to do is choose a layout.

Advertisement

I'm not sure I have understand what actually you want to obtain, but for a 2d dungeon crawler there are plenty of projects to get inspiration of. Take a roguelike. There are billions. Go to roguebasin, which is a great place to get started with this kind of games.

You need no stuff like "prerendered video". You need a basic understanding of 2d grids and tile system.

Good luck. The genre looks easy, but it isn't. Start small!

Good luck on your project. It sounds ambitious.

Usually it is best to learn on the PC directly rather than learning on a mobile device. You will have a learning curve naturally, but adding the complexity of mobile development -- build and deployment chains, remote debugging, and less-functional tools than are on PC -- it makes the learning curve that much more difficult.

You might consider starting much smaller for your first game. Start with games like "guess the number", and a text-based tic-tac-toe. These are good for learning and gaining skill. Dungeon crawlers are certainly smaller than large 3D productions, but they still are major works.

Even so, dream big.

Good luck on your project. It sounds ambitious.

Usually it is best to learn on the PC directly rather than learning on a mobile device. You will have a learning curve naturally, but adding the complexity of mobile development -- build and deployment chains, remote debugging, and less-functional tools than are on PC -- it makes the learning curve that much more difficult.

You might consider starting much smaller for your first game. Start with games like "guess the number", and a text-based tic-tac-toe. These are good for learning and gaining skill. Dungeon crawlers are certainly smaller than large 3D productions, but they still are major works.

Even so, dream big.

Thank you for your support. I'm having fun learning. I like a good challenge. I'm starting out small my first project is to see if I can get the layout to work considering that is where I am at on learning about android programming. Layouts and Views. ha ha. That proving to be difficult. But so far so good. I am coming along.

I'm not sure I have understand what actually you want to obtain, but for a 2d dungeon crawler there are plenty of projects to get inspiration of. Take a roguelike. There are billions. Go to roguebasin, which is a great place to get started with this kind of games.

You need no stuff like "prerendered video". You need a basic understanding of 2d grids and tile system.

Good luck. The genre looks easy, but it isn't. Start small!

Just realized I can multiquote a little late. I will use that from now on when needed.

I know I do not need any prerendered video i'm just thinking of different ways I can achieve the dungeon crawler that I want. Thank you!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement