Have You Ever....?

Started by
9 comments, last by l0calh05t 8 years, 2 months ago

(feel free to add your own Have You Ever ----)s

. woke to a mountainous wall of code you couldn't remember writing, devoid of formatting, comments, white space...
And on a whim, compiled to find it worked perfectly despite spending the entire previous day unable to make it work?

And did you try to take it apart and format it sensibly, or just leave it alone and go on?

Advertisement

Nope, but that does sound like a soul-crushing experience.

Have you ever tried to refactor a big-picture part of your code's architecture, and bit off a larger chunk than you could chew at once, taking more than two weeks to get your code even compiling again, let alone running?

Have you ever tried to refactor a big-picture part of your code's architecture, and bit off a larger chunk than you could chew at once, taking more than two weeks to get your code even compiling again, let alone running?
Try two months! Was porting someone else's product with a looming deadline... Oh gawd the stress...

all the time... people just love their singletons and shared state... leading to any change being a big-picture change...

Haha. I did this to a project trying to make a version 3. Problem was back then I didn't use version control so there was no way back, the project stagnated :(
Have you ever...

Worked for a non technical boss who thinks programming is a simple exercise, and maybe asks:

"surely it's just copy and paste?"
"make it like amazon, only better"
"I want a search smart as Google"

For all the above given a deadline of a week... :lol:

Well technically you can write any amount of code using only copy and paste.

Definition of a man-year: 730 people trying to finish the project before lunch

Have you ever joked about developing a keyboard that delivers an electric shock if ctrl-c or ctrl-v are pressed and later thought there really is a need for these after having to fix some idiotic bug that was copy-pasted in 5 different locations in the code?

was copy-pasted in 5 different locations in the code

I spent a week creating such situation. Now I get to fix it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement