• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

SwapChain BufferCount 1 or 2 for double buffering?

This topic is 721 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I keep reading confusing and conflicting views on the internet about how to create a swapchain with 1 back buffer and 1 front buffer.  Some people say the front buffer is implied and when you create a swapchain description you should set the bufferCount to 1 and others say you must set it to 2 if your want 1 front buffer and 1 back buffer.  Does anyone have any input on this?

Advertisement

It's confusing because it depends on your presentation mode, os, and whether you're in fullscreen or windowed mode.

Check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3wTajGZOsA

I don't know why this isn't slides, or if there are, I don't know where they are.

Also check GpuView to make sure you're buffering the amount of commands that you expect to be.

Edited by Dingleberry

If I'm understanding the video correctly, DX9 (copy/discard) created the buffers you specify, copy the contents to an intermediate one that you didn't specify but just always gets created, and copy the intermediate to your display. Because why copy once when you can copy twice? In DX12/DXGI14 you don't get the additional buffer, which is why Present(0, 0) generally won't give you an uncapped frame rate like it used to.

Edited by Dingleberry

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement