Brightness and Contrast

Started by
4 comments, last by SBD 8 years, 2 months ago

Apologies for something of a cross-post with the XBox Live DX11 forum, but they are fairly dead these days.

I'm currently mulling over how exactly I want to implement brightness and contrast adjustments in my (D3D11) renderer. After perusing the commonly suggested techniques, I see 3 basic approaches:

1) The easiest and lowest runtime-performance-impact option is to utilize IDXGIOutput::SetGammaControl, via the DXGI_GAMMA_CONTROL::Offset and ::Scale members. The first obvious drawback to this approach is that it only takes effect in fullscreen exclusive mode. Further, it will ignore any custom color profile the user has set up on their monitor with regards to the gamma ramp (there are entire forums dedicated to tracking the games that use SetGammaControl, and ways to try and work around that). I think it may be possible to avoid the color profile issue by using the GDI GetDeviceGammaRamp function to get values with which to translate and populate into DXGI_GAMMA_CONTROL::GammaCurve. Lastly, this functionality may not even be supported by some drivers, although I have no idea if that's a modern concern.

2) The "obvious" answer is to do this via shaders, and the calculation itself is of course simplicity. The first choice for implementing this method is to add another pass, which in effect adds the need for a (potentially additional) intermediary render target. That allows the calculation to reside in a single custom shader applied to that pass. But it's a bit hard to justify a full framebuffer-sized render target for that purpose (although, typically, one can be smart about having these intermediate render targets for sharing amongst passes). The second option is to embed this calculation directly into the regular shaders as a last step before output. This, however, is nasty, as it pollutes every shader and requires knowledge of whether or not it should actually apply (is this the presentation render target, or something that is going to be rendered into the scene, etc.).

3) The tried-and-true post-process pass of rendering a full-screen quad over the final image, with blending set up to apply brightness and contrast. While it doesn't exactly evoke the warm fuzzies adding another full-screen alpha-blended quad to the rendering output, it seems relatively low-impact (performance-wise). The only hiccup I've encountered thus far is that I haven't yet found a way to increase contrast via this method, as all blending inputs (including blend factors) are clamped to the display range (0.0 - 1.0). I have this set up with two blend states, one for increasing brightness and one for decreasing brightness:

// Increasing brightness
SrcBlend = D3D11_BLEND_ONE;
DestBlend = D3D11_BLEND_SRC_ALPHA;
BlendOp = D3D11_BLEND_OP_ADD;

// Decreasing brightness
SrcBlend = D3D11_BLEND_ONE;
DestBlend = D3D11_BLEND_SRC_ALPHA;
BlendOp = D3D11_BLEND_OP_REV_SUBTRACT;

As implied by the above setup, the fullscreen quad I'm rendering has the brightness offset in the rgb color components of the vertices, and puts the contrast scale into the alpha components.

#1 is tempting (and many games settle for doing it), but not having it apply when windowed is not really flexible enough.

#2 might be what's necessary, but the various complications with either adding another pass/render target or shader pollution are distasteful. I presume most folks work the brightness/contrast into their post-processing pipeline and explicitly deal with it via shader code?

I'd be satisfied with #3, if not for the fact that I can't figure out how I might apply a scale larger than 1.0. Has anyone had success using that method and been able to accommodate increasing contrast?

I'm curious if folks have tried any other methods, and/or had additional thoughts on the above?

Advertisement
Use a color correction texture, that is, a 3d texture where you insert your R,G,B values and which output new R,G,B values. For this you should use a simple 3d texture which can either be precalculated or calculated on-the-fly. You can put almost every commonly used in color correction into it, hue shifts, contrast, brightness whatever and it is just a single texture lookup in your shader.

I wasn't aware the gaming community hated SetGammaControl, but on the basis that it does, I don't see any problem with #2.

You're right that adding an entirely extra pass at the end of post-processing just to do this is a little unnecessary. I'm not sure I follow your logic through to the conclusion that many shaders have to be polluted with this code. Post-processing usually finishes with a full-screen pass that uses a very specific shader (it might do things like colour-grading, film-grain, apply bloom) so that should be the only shader that needs to have specific brightness/saturation/contrast code adding to it.

Why do you think you need to pollute "every shader" with this code? It only needs to be put inside the last shader used in the frame which is likely the same shader every frame...

Adam Miles - Principal Software Development Engineer - Microsoft Xbox Advanced Technology Group

Use a color correction texture, that is, a 3d texture where you insert your R,G,B values and which output new R,G,B values. For this you should use a simple 3d texture which can either be precalculated or calculated on-the-fly. You can put almost every commonly used in color correction into it, hue shifts, contrast, brightness whatever and it is just a single texture lookup in your shader.

Thanks for that suggestion, that's a great way to combine all the color corrections into a single lookup. If/when I move towards an actual (shader) post-process pass to apply my color controls I'll definitely consider going that route. I suppose you might even be able to utilize that with the blend method, although I'd have to do some beard-stroking to see if it was possible.

I wasn't aware the gaming community hated SetGammaControl

I wouldn't say it's an issue for most people, but folks who go through the trouble of setting up a color profile on their monitor (HW enthusiasts, as it were, which hardcore gamers are) seem to be perturbed by it. Presumably the problem cases are when SetGammaControl is called with the default gamma ramp, which will then overwrite the one set by the color profile.

Why do you think you need to pollute "every shader" with this code?

Apologies, I was a bit unclear in my wording there. To your point, yes absolutely, if you have an existing post-process pass that is always last that would definitely be the place to insert it. Generally, where it starts to get a bit hairy is if you can't make such a guarantee (graphics options may disable certain passes, perhaps including that final one). So, in lieu of adding a whole separate pass, you'd be in the position of trying to "wedge it in there" where appropriate. Without a guaranteed pass to put it in (perhaps there are no post-process passes enabled), you'd be stuck with trying to add it to your "normal" shaders when they output a color, which introduces all sorts of other complications with render targets that aren't the presentation one, etc.. Obviously, that's a bit ridiculous and extreme.

Currently, I don't have a guaranteed post-process pass I can place it in, which is some of the reason I was exploring other low-impact options.

Thanks for that suggestion, that's a great way to combine all the color corrections into a single lookup. If/when I move towards an actual (shader) post-process pass to apply my color controls I'll definitely consider going that route. I suppose you might even be able to utilize that with the blend method, although I'd have to do some beard-stroking to see if it was possible.

I wasn't aware the gaming community hated SetGammaControl

I wouldn't say it's an issue for most people, but folks who go through the trouble of setting up a color profile on their monitor (HW enthusiasts, as it were, which hardcore gamers are) seem to be perturbed by it. Presumably the problem cases are when SetGammaControl is called with the default gamma ramp, which will then overwrite the one set by the color profile.

I recently bought a new LG 23MP55 monitor to replace an old one that died and its stock calibration SUCKS. White is shown as fucking yellowish! No amount of OSD tweaking would fix it. Luckily someone had uploaded an ICC profile at tftcentral.com for that model, and it was a godsent. Now it looks very close toall my other monitors.

If you were to override my ICC settings, I would be very pissed.

As for OP's dilemma: often we do lots of postprocessing effects, and that requires intermediate render textures. It's a good practice to reuse / recycle those textures for subsequent effects, so your worries are a little exaggerated as the higher memory consumption is often a fixed overhead price you pay once, the moment you begin to do postprocessing.

If you were to override my ICC settings, I would be very pissed.

As I understand it, the override is only in effect while the app is in fullscreen exclusive mode (i.e.; the proper gamma ramp is restored on exit from fullscreen), but it's still obviously a bad thing to do. Regardless of that particular issue, I think it's a better idea to just handle the brightness/contrast natively in-game, and not limit yourself to fullscreen only.

It's a good practice to reuse / recycle those textures for subsequent effects

Yep, absolutely...I wordily alluded to that in my original post. Once my post-process pipeline is more fleshed out I'm sure I'll be simply integrating the color controls into it via the aforementioned shader methodology. For the time being, however, I'm somewhat limited by the fact that I actually may not have any post-process passes enabled. So, in lieu of adding a "real" shader-based post-process pass just for brightness/contrast, I've been looking at alternate solutions.

For now, I'll probably stick with the blending-based brightness and contrast until the shader post-process method becomes viable for my situation.

Thanks to all for the input thus far.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement