Sign in to follow this  

Are there game engines or game engine file formats that have a large set of physical parameters in the API?

This topic is 682 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Are there game engines or game engine -related file formats that have a large set of "physical parameters" in the API?

What I mean by physical parameters is "game physics", but e.g. in an "event" or "game world" sense. That is, game objects (I mean like C++ objects) may e.g. have a set of flags that are set (e.g. "objectWasHit = True") or variables (e.g. "distToNearestObject = 50.6").

I've seen that these kinds of parameters are often in graphics APIs (because of lightning simulation for example), but I've not particularly paid attention to what game engines or libraries or file formats may have most support for such "physical parameters".

What I mean by file formats is that whether there exists file formats that e.g. "map" or "add" physical parameters to graphics formats coming from e.g. an Autodesk modelling software.

Any ideas?

Edited by mviljamaa

.... What?

You made this more confusing by trying to make this less confusing.

Foooor game engines to use themselves? There aren't really any specific file formats for that. Usually all that jazz is in the scripting language it's self. As in... you're not going to see "physics enabled" on a model file. But you will see it on it's in game script file.

Fooor graphics? No... not all... normally anyways. That's all defined in the in-engine scripting language again. As for how lighting interacts with it? It's usually a lossless image file format... and it's information is dependent on what it represents.

Rainbows for normals, grayscale for influences, 256 colors for a diffuse.

You might want to read it's documentation. The file format is hardly recommended by the documentation for a number of reasons.

EDIT: Wait are you asking for a Physics engine?

Edited by Tangletail

You might want to read it's documentation. The file format is hardly recommended by the documentation for a number of reasons.

EDIT: Wait are you asking for a Physics engine?

I'm asking generally. Since I'm not sure if these would belong to a physics engine, game engine, gameplay scripting or whatever.

Edited by mviljamaa

That is, game objects (I mean like C++ objects) may e.g. have a set of flags that are set (e.g. "objectWasHit = True") or variables (e.g. "distToNearestObject = 50.6").

These are custom run-time parameters that you have to create and manage by yourself. Run-time parameters.

I've seen that these kinds of parameters are often in graphics APIs

No they aren’t. Your examples have nothing to do with graphics, and they are entirely custom and to be managed by you.

file formats may have most support for such "physical parameters".

These are run-time parameters and will never be in a file.

what game engines or libraries

All that include physics support.

What I mean by file formats is that whether there exists file formats that e.g. "map" or "add" physical parameters to graphics formats coming from e.g. an Autodesk modelling software.

Your examples have no place in files.
If you want to add data to files, write a plug-in for Maya.

COLLADA files can contain data for Bullet Physics.

L. Spiro

This topic is 682 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.