Non Steam players and my Steamworks Game

Started by
3 comments, last by hplus0603 8 years, 2 months ago
Hi All,
if I use Steamworks for my game, is it still possible that I can have NON-Steam member players added to join in multiplayer game sessions?
I am looking to possibly use Steamworks as it has the features I am looking for.
But I am also needing to sell my games on other platforms so I need those possibly non-steam members to also easily join in the multiplayer matches, using just some simpler non-steam user login process.
Does anyone know if this would work?
Cheers
Fred
Advertisement
Steamworks only does matchmaking with Steam.
You can, however, also use some other networking library.
It is also possible to write code that talks to multiple network libraries at the same time to bridge the gap, but you won't get that from Steamworks alone.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

If you have your own game and/or matchmaking server then there is nothing stopping you from having people on Steam play against people on other platforms. Just pass through their Steam ID with the login to your server if you need to track if they are from Steam or not.

Thanks guys.

My resources are limited and I am not a hot programmer so making our own solution or bridges might prove tricky.

Therefore I have also been looking at other third part backend systems/services but I am finding it hard to understand if they will actually help me with getting around NAT issues, which is one of the main reasons I am looking at steam.

What I was planning was to have just a very limited dedicated server that would just host the lobby itself, and it would enable players that are hooking up to challenge opponents from the lobby list and then the server would connect them together and get out of the way, letting Unreal do its Listenserver-client thing with the two players themselves.

I have been looking at for example Photon, Playfab and Gamesparks without being able to actually figure out if I could do this using them.

Each of those libraries have their own support people. You might want to ask them the questions you have, directly. That will also let you figure out how helpful each source might be once you decide on one.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement