• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
lonewolff

Basic matrix question

This topic is 900 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Guys,

I have decided to take the plunge and try to de-mystify matrices in my own mind.

I have managed to write a simple calculator to multiply two matrices together to give an output.

So multiplying a simple identity matrix against a translation matrix gives me this (assuming translation is 5, 6 ,7 -xyz for learning purposes).

1 0 0 0
0 1 0 0
0 0 1 0
5 6 7 0

If I were to now use the x, y, and z co-ordinates for this single vertex (assuming the vertex is originally 0,0,0) would the location of the new vertex always be stored in elements 12, 13, and 14?

If so, when I start playing with rotation matrices etc and start getting numbers that aren't easy to predict (as they are above). Is the new x, y, and z of the vertex always going to be in 12, 13, and 14?

Sorry if this sounds overly basic and noobish, but I literally started learning matrices around 20 minutes ago smile.png

Advertisement
It depends how the matrix is ordered in memory, but if it is
0 1 2 3
4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15

then your position will be at 12,13,14.

The trick about hormogoneous matricies in game dev is, that you can read the important vectors (position, lookat, right, up) directly from the matrix most of the time.

But, before you break your fingers by reinventing the wheel (aka writing your own math lib) , try to use a math library like glm (free, and header only lib, no lib linking necessary !).

Nice, thanks for the link.

Looks like I am on the right track then.

Do you think it is worth persisting learning a little more about matrices or should I ditch the idea and go straight for a lib?

If I were to now use the x, y, and z co-ordinates for this single vertex (assuming the vertex is originally 0,0,0) would the location of the new vertex always be stored in elements 12, 13, and 14?
A vertex is a 1x4 matrix, or a 4x1 matrix (depending on which mathematical conventions you're using)

Depending on your convention, a transformation matrix multiplied by a vertex looks like:

1x4 * 4x4 = 1x4

4x4 * 4x1 = 4x1

i.e. your matrix has 16 elements, but your input vertex and your result only have 4 elements each.

I think I get what you are saying there.

In other words less calculations, because it is a transform matrix?

I was playing around with the full 16 elements as I'll move on to trying out rotations etc next and wanted to make sure I was going about the whole thing correctly.

But (if I understand your post correctly) you can abbreviate some of the calculations somewhat. Right?

No. You were talking about vertices... which are very different from matrices. I assumed you were talking about transforming a vertex using a matrix (which is what my post is about).

No. You were talking about vertices... which are very different from matrices. I assumed you were talking about transforming a vertex using a matrix (which is what my post is about).

Yep, I was talking about verts as well.

Obviously I am missing something. As I said completely new to matrix calculations.

You should learn about matrix calculation, at least about the special subset of homogenous 4x4 matricies typically used in 3d game development. The special matricies are rotation, translation, scaling, and the inverse, order of multiplication, accessing position/lookat/up/right vector of a hom. 4x4 matrix,the difference between multiplying a hom. 4x4 matrix with a (x,y,z,0) and (x,y,z,1) vector etc. This should be really the baseline for coding a 3d game.

You should use a lib to get a fast and robust implmentation, still you need to learn how and when to apply what type of matrix.

It's definately worth demystifying further. I suggest you use one of the first chapters of the frank d Luna d3d11 book, this covers all the basics and some usefull exercises.

Also note that in theory there can be a difference on row major vs column major (depending on the API and or settings/ HLSL usage)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!