Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

black_mage_s

My NEW RPG battle system

Alright, here is the condensed version from what i originally wrote down: The menu now has a max of 6 options | |- ATTACK |- MAGIC |- JUMP |- SUMMON |- SPECIAL |- RUN The main purpose of this was to eliminate thing like FF7''s Super menu syndrome. I''ll post more later, im dead tried

I understand how most of the items can have no submenus, but why magic? There are generally three types; healing, damaging, and statistic altering. Each of those should be represented in my mind. Are you palnning something different?

ahh... well as for there being no sub menus, i am going to divide spells into columns
ATTACK CURATIVE STATUS

all spells will just fall into these columns, which will be seperated by making you press the arrow keys to switch between pages

Making you press the arrow keys? I really hope this is a console game, because designing a computer game without mouse support is a good way to alienate a lot of your potential customer base.

Just a little friendly advice : )

there is going to be mouse support, but there will always be a keyboard equivelent for people like me who preferred the good old fashion console game staus of just one control median

the battles now sort of revolve around this thing called Position, which, as much as you may want it to be, has nothing to do with where you are currently standing.

Position determines how much power is allocated to magic or attack depending on where it is on the position meter. if it is all the way to the left, you get 25% more power in you magic spells and such, and if it is all the way to the right, you get 25% more power to your physical attack.

your position changes depending on what you do most. if you use a physical attack, the position meter will go 10% to the right, and if you do this ten times, it will reachall the way over. The same applies to magic, execpt to the left instead.

when the meter is all the way on one side, you will get a special attack that is either an all out physical bashing, to an incredibly powerful magic attack. After you use one of these specials, your position will reset and not move for 5 turns, or untill the battle is over.

i decided to completely eliminate the Active Time Battle System, in favor of the new position system, mainly because the ATBS has been done to death, and the position system already adds a bit of strategy. so far the demo battles i''ve made work perfectly, so it should go off without a hitch

Is this turn-based? IMO turn-based is worse than ATB.

For those of you reading this, who do not know what ATB is:
ATB or Active Time Battle is the generic term used for pseudo-turn-based combat systems, wherein each combatant has a certain "speed of preparation" timer, after which, he/she/it may perform some action. After an action is performed, the timer is reset and that character must again wait until he/she/it is prepared to do something again.

George D. Filiotis
Are you in support of the ban of Dihydrogen Monoxide? You should be!

That''s not new, that''s an evolution of an already existing battle system.

I still don''t understand why so many people just are imitating instead of innovating...

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-

first of all, implementing the ATB into this, as simple as it would be, is just getting too tedious and repetitive, i might add in something simaler, but as for now, there are no static ideas, everything is always changing.

I still don''t understand why so many people just are imitating instead of innovating...

GOD DAMMIT! Think about what hasnt been done! There are basically 3 catagories of battle systems, Turn Based, Active Time, And Real Time, if you can give me an example of more, i''ll listen

Is this turn-based? IMO turn-based is worse than ATB.
Ummm ATB is just the evolution of turn based, its just turn based with a waiting time for turns

You know, Black mage, for someone who is asking for input on an idea, you seem awfually hostile, and "I don''t care"ish about the whole thing. Am I misreading you?

I am sort of inclined to agree with some of the other people. Aside of the method you choose for generating your super attacks, the system seems fairly well like every other system out there. Not that it''s bad, but it won''t be a supreme selling point.

Anyway, good luck with it, and I hope you''re happy with the end result.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Heh heh heh. I though I invented ATB until I played Final Fantasy VII. Boy was I pissed!

Guest Anonymous Poster
I don''t really like the idea of the position meter. (I am trying to be constructive) If favors unbalanced characters. If you are a balanced character who can both fight and cast spells you are at a disadvantage versus a character who specializes...hence every character is going to be either a super-spellcaster or a super-fighter.

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
I don''t really like the idea of the position meter. (I am trying to be constructive) If favors unbalanced characters. If you are a balanced character who can both fight and cast spells you are at a disadvantage versus a character who specializes...hence every character is going to be either a super-spellcaster or a super-fighter.

actually, 25% is only a starting number, it''ll probably be a lot smaller like 10%

Okay, heres what i did, i completely redid the whole turn thing.
Each Player Has a time meter, this meter starts out at full at the beginning of the battle, unless the player was snuck up on, in which acse it may start at 75%

when the player chooses an option, the meter goes down whatever percentage and starts to recharge, when it is done recharging, the action will be exectuted, this will work for commands options, and not specific actions unless stated otherwise

What i don''t get is why RPG''s don''t differentiate between different parts of the body? Now, i''ll make my own RPG someday and have all the little things I''d love to see in a game, but until then, i''ll let you all figure everything out and just copy you.

Now... on to the show.

Why, in RPG''s are the monsters and villans just a generic block of hitpoints? If i''m wearing a super-duper-magic helmet and you hit me in the head, chances are it''s not going to do much damage. But if you caught me taking a bath or planting my seed in a cortisan and I don''t have any pants on and you slash me in the rear, chances are you''re going to do more damage.

So why would the game not differentiate the two?

I mean, sure.. ok.. you''re armor class would go up if you''re not wearing your armor, but it shouldn''t be generic. You should be able to choose where your attack goes like:

Attack -> Body

or Attack -> High

or even Attack -> Left Arm (maybe knock the sword out of his hand).

Everything has a weak spot, you should be able to exploit it somehow.

Defense should be the same.

Like if the dude attacks left, and you block left, you should get a bonus, because you''ld be better balanced for the next attack.

So ok RPG makers out there, throw in some more real-time-combat type situations into a turn-based attack system.

Now that''s what i''d like to see.

And if you get rich off the idea.. remember me

i have seen that kind of thing before... i forget the name of the game but it was a futuristic RPG. you could pick where on the enemy you would attack (my favorite thing to do was shoot them in the eyes or balls, not for strategy, just to be rude).
i was considering putting something like this in my game, but i am not sure about it. every thing that you add in to give more realistic and specific control is another level of detail that the player has to deal with. it is a nifty idea, but i don''t know if it would get annoying and drag out battles too much.
i''m still trying to decide, while i write the rest of the engine

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)

krez youre prolly refering to the Fallout series. Love those games. Your skill determines what chance you have of hitting a specific body part. Shoot someone in the leg or arm and with a crit hit you cripple them or theyll be crippled if shot several times there. It requires more Action points to aim a shot but it has the potential to do more damage. Some weapons like Sniper Rifles give you a better chance to hit specially aimed shots. I loved fighting big battles in Fallout because with a sniper Rifle Id be popping everyone in the head or eye and either blinding them(they couldnt shoot back) or killing them outright because of crit hit to the head.

Guest Anonymous Poster
How is your new mod different from Active Time Battle? Isn''t that basically how that works? (Been a while since I played a FF game)

The basic idea sounds similar, but that isn''t a bad thing because that system is good.

I would also look into the "weight system" found in Tactics Ogre (Ogre Battle 2). It is essentially ATB with some neat additions. Each action you take decreases your meter, and you can''t move again until the meter is full. But there are a few nice features:

#1: The heaver your equipment is, the more each action decreases your meter. So it actually can be advantageous to equip weapons/armor that are not the "best." For example I usually don''t equip any armor on archers.

#2: Moving and attacking (it is a tactical game sort of like Shining Force, Military Madness, etc) takes off more meter than just moving or just attacking. So once again sometimes what would appear to be the "optimal" move really isn''t. For archers you can plant them on high ground and keep shooting without moving. Even if you *could* move to a slightly better position it isn''t always worth it.

The nice thing about this system is that it takes a bit more planning and strategy and there are more factors to consider. What would be the best action in another game isn''t always the best action in this game. For example equipping armor and weapons takes some thought, you don''t just equip the "optimal" items in terms of attack or defense power. Also certain classes like Ninjas gain meter faster than other classes that have higher defense and attack power. So it provides an extra axis to differentiate classes on.

Well, the way to get around the ''tedium'' for a targeted system would be to have an automatic mode. Turn it on have your character auto-fight the bad guy. (Thus going back to a standard RPG method of ATTACK - See What Happens - Attack - See What Happens).

This would come in handy against the fodder type characters that are only challenging to battle when you first start the game. And if you gave your character a little AI, he could learn which monsters were vulnerable in which spots, so the automatic fighting would be effective. I.E. If you battle a triceretops and you learn to kill him by going for the flesh behind his neck, when you turn on auto fight, and hit attack, your character would go for the neck.

The thing about having a targeted system of attacks would be the tons of possibilities, especially with ''bosses'' and such. Like you could make their left leg vunerable after some certain attack they do.

In addition, if you hacked off their foot or something, their mobility would decrease a ton, and if you waited long enough, they would just bleed to death, so you could just defend and dodge their attacks until they were dead.

I have an idea that probably hasn''t been done before. In battle, you are placed in a isometric grid field, maybe 11x11. A player can occupy only one space at a time, and may only maove a maximum of 3 spaces in one turn. The fun of it is that you and the enemy continues moving around the field using a turn-based system. If you predict when your opponent will attack, you can set yourself to a grid space behind you to dodge the attack, since you need to be close enough to the enemy to hit him. As to special attacks, some will cover the entire enemy or only a specific area, making them dodgable as well.

But the real fun comes with the obstacles. Rocks, rivers, and other things can hinder or help you in your battle. For example, a rock will block most projectile attacks, except those that is good against stone (e.g. water). A river will also hinder ground attacks if it touches it. Magnetic spaces can divert the direction of a projectile attack, and these obstacles can limit movement. The entire sequence will be done in a turn-based style.

I would say more but I don''t have time. maybe later

It was also done to great effect in Tactics Ogre, FF Tactics, and further back in Shining Force for the Genesis (I think - it''s been forever since I pulled that one out) and even on Guardian Heros? Force? (can''t even remember the name) on the 3DO system.

And those are only the big name ones.

(so I''m sorry to disappoint you, jman2050, that your idea isn''t so original - well, actually, I don''t think any of them had magnets... so... )