• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Jofo

DX12 [D3D12] DXGI, multi-GPU issues

This topic is 896 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone!

I'm trying out DX12 (did some work in DX11 and a lot in OGL), but I got some issues.

First of all, how to enable debug in DX12? In my code (copied from tutorial)

ID3D12Debug* debugController;
     if (SUCCEEDED(D3D12GetDebugInterface(IID_PPV_ARGS(&debugController))))
     {
          debugController->EnableDebugLayer();
          std::cout << "DEBUG enabled...\n";
     }
     else
     {
          std::cerr << "DEBUG NOT WORKING!\n";
     }

and it always fails. I tried it event in DX tutorials I got from GitHUB - the same. In DX11 there was this DX Control Panel app, in which I enabled debug, but I cant find it in Win10.

Secondly, I am planning to do some GPU coop, that probably means creating a context on a device with no monitor attached. I have a GTX 780 (monitor attached) and integrated Intel HD 4600. I see the Intel chip among the adapters, but I cannot create context on that card. I even tried to lower the feature level to 10, but it fails anyway. So how to create a multi-GPU context / context for off-screen rendering?

Advertisement

Out of curiousity did you need to do anything to get the integrated to show up?  I haven't tried enumerating it in D3D12 yet but for me the integrated has no monitor hooked up and doesn't show up in device manager so I didn't try.

I just enabled it in BIOS (i7 4770K, ASRock Z87E-ITX), I can see it in device manager and it is listed among adapters returned by DXGI factory.

6l8r98fx.png

Edited by stgFX

And if what Matias doesn't work, try hooking a monitor up to integrated.  If you look at your screenshot it says the integrated has no videoram associated with it, maybe it has to do with that. (and maybe plugging in a monitor will solve it)

Dingleberry and Alessio1989 - you were right! I enabled debug for the app in the panel, then it prompted me to install Graphics Tools. So now the debug output works.

Intel drivers are up to date, I installed them yesterday. And I guess the video ram amount is also OK - because I am querying DXGI_ADAPTER_DESC1.DedicatedVideoMemory, which as of integrated card, has none. Or maybe its because of the monitor, will try...

BTW if you resolve this could you please post how you did it.  I'm gonna try multi-GPU at some point in the future and will likely encounter the same problem.

I guess it is sorted, but weird way.

I plugged the monitor into the integrated card, rebooted and indeed I was now able to create context on the Intel chip, even on GeForce which had no output. I plugged it back to the GeForce and now device context can be created on both cards simultaneously.

Edited by stgFX

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!