New to game development

Started by
2 comments, last by Alberth 8 years, 2 months ago

Hello, how are you guys doing?

I have been learning for one year JavaScript and Python for web development, but I am more interested in developing games, with that being said I would like to know if c++ is the most used language in AAA game industry and is there any game engine that you would reccomend to a beginner?

Between unity(c#) and java(android sdk maybe?) which one is mostly used in mobile games development?

Advertisement

Hey Esokaz!

That's great that you're interested in developing games! C++ is used for many many AAA games because of it's history and power, but I would say just don't worry about it too much right now. It's better to slowly get used to the concept of programming and that is something that will come along no matter what language you use.

As for game engines, I hear a lot of people start from Love which is a Lua engine but I think Unity isn't a bad place to begin either. I personally started from using Game Maker and I would recommend that as well if you're into 2D games. Game Maker is nice because you can actually make simple games without scripting at all, so it teaches you about how games are put together I guess. Unity is a bit trickier because it's mainly for 3D graphics, and requires scripting. If you already know Javascript though, you can use that in Unity so that might be nice. Unity also might be better for porting to mobile games, as it supports free cross-platform development. I think you need to pay in Game maker to do that.

Hope it helped!

Between unity(c#) and java(android sdk maybe?) which one is mostly used in mobile games development?

That would be Java by a significant margin.

C++ is still the leader in major development houses, but seems to be losing a little ground.
As to engines, Javascript has several to work with - since you are already familiar with it. Phaser is climbing the ladder quickly.

For a full development engine, I would avoid Unity unless you are already using it.
It has great Web-deployment support, but in all other areas Unreal is superior, for only a slightly greater starting difficulty.

I have been learning for one year JavaScript and Python for web development, but I am more interested in developing games,
I don't know JavaScript, but for Python, there is pygame (pygame.org).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement