Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

-=Code=-

DX9 when?

Anyone know the release date or approximate release date? I've seen stuff floating about suggesting that it is near and it's had a major overhaul. Don't you guys get annoyed whenever this happens like every few months or so? Read article here. http://www.hardwareaccelerated.com/articles/d3dfuture/ Edited by - -=code=- on November 18, 2001 8:34:28 PM

DX8.1 has only just been released!

The DirectX 9 beta programme hasn''t even started yet.

The schedule for major versions is usually something like:

March (GDC): Developer preview of new version.
April/May: Beta testing begins.
June (Meltdown): Late beta/early release candidate.
August/September: Release.

I wouldn''t expect DX9 to be released until around mid to late 2002. (I''ve been beta testing it since DX5.2 and it seems to follow roughly that pattern).

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Just to be a little *more* anal, the major releases (to developers NOT involved in the beta program) aren''t usually until around Rememberance Day (nov. 11th)..

DirectX 8.0 was last November,
DirectX 8.1 was this November..

Wazoo

Are you kidding me? I thought the DX9 beta program has been around for weeks!

Ah, yes, and I quote:
quote:
MSDN:
DirectX 9.0 Beta Applications Accepted
The DirectX 9.0 beta is now open for new beta applicants. Use the following user ID and password to access the site and provide the information we need to drive the selection process.
User ID: DirectXDev
Password: DX9Beta
(October 1, Special Offer)

October 1st, over a month ago.

Although I guess the applications probably aren''t the same thing as the actual betas.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates
- sleeps in a ham-mock at www.thebinaryrefinery.cjb.net

superpig:

They''re still at the stage of taking applications.

- MS then sift through all the applications to decide which people will make suitable testers (they want people who are actually going to test rather than those who just want to brag that they have the newest version of DX and those who just want to leak it ["look at me I''m l337, I''ve got 0-day DX9"]).

- After this the successful applicants recieve a notification e-mail to tell them they''ve been invited to test.

- Next step, MS fax/post the Non Disclosure Agreement to the applicant.

- The applicant then has to post/fax all the pages of the NDA back to MS.

- Once MS have recieved the completed NDA, they send out the access passwords for the newsgroups and the BetaPlace download site.

As you can probably guess, this process can take quite a while for everyone to complete (including people who didn''t recieve the NDA, people who didn''t send back all the pages of the NDA etc).

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

I''m a openGL boy and I''ve been thinking of making the switch to D3D. I''ve been reading up on it and I hear that people say that it changes fairly often rendering D3D specific books quickly outdated as well as code. I was going to switchon if DX9 is not to be released anytime soon or just wait for it. Whichever would be convenient.

Dont let the fact that DX changes often impede you from learning it. Since it uses COM(Component Object Model) everything program that you write with older versions should work with never versions.

"Ogun''s Laughter Is No Joke!!!" - Ogun Kills On The Right, A Nigerian Poem.

Oh - oops, sorry. I don''t use betas - my machine is unstable enough already.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates
- sleeps in a ham-mock at www.thebinaryrefinery.cjb.net