• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Ovicior

Unity Simple Open-Source Projects To Contribute To?

This topic is 979 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey,

I'm wondering if you guys are aware of any simple C# projects that I can contribute to. I've got a years experience of C#, and want to learn more of the language, and try to master it. I'm aware of things like Code Triage, but they usually give me issues that are too hard (for a relatively new guy).

If you have a personal project and need some help (Unity, Monogame, or anything that isn't super complicated) I'm more than willing to contribute.

Thanks.

Advertisement

You could just try searching Github for projects written using the technology that you are interesting..

What kind of projects are you wanting to be involved with?

Since you already have a little experience with Monogame then why not contribute to the actual Monogame project.  There are plenty of Help Wanted issues currently for Monogame some look complicated whilst others seem fairly trivial.

Unity projects seem to be a bit trickier to search for because there are lots of other technologies out there called unity that are unrelated to the games engine but using a few filters you should be able to find lots of stuff that is actively used and worked on.

You could just try searching Github for projects written using the technology that you are interesting..

Since you already have a little experience with Monogame then why not contribute to the actual Monogame project.  There are plenty of Help Wanted issues currently for Monogame some look complicated whilst others seem fairly trivial.

Unity projects seem to be a bit trickier to search for because there are lots of other technologies out there called unity that are unrelated to the games engine but using a few filters you should be able to find lots of stuff that is actively used and worked on.

I saw the Monogame Github and got turned off it, because a lot of the issues were scary to a newbie like me. I haven't got any viable experience with Monogame. I haven't had the time to code for a while.

I'm wondering if you guys are aware of any simple C# projects that I can contribute to. 
Small open source projects tend to be very personal, like one or two dudes team. You'll have a hard time convincing them they need your contributions.

You could fork something and expand it instead, but without a use case its useless (developing libraries in the void tends to do that).

So I don't think this is a feasible approach.

What you could do is develop your own projects, but read about the libraries you use, see their sources, see how they're developed. Maybe then, after you've used them, understood their development and gained experience, you can start to contribute back.

And as always, bug reports, those are contributions too.

Rather than look for "small projects to contribute to," contribute to projects you use.

Because you use them, you'll already have an understanding of them, which will make it easier to contribute. You don't have to actually tackle things that are official issues, you can create pull requests for minor additions or to fix smaller problems you may have noticed yourself while using it that aren't fully-documented yet. It's a much better way to get involved, I think, than just finding some random project looking for help that you're not otherwise invested in.

Aboslutely. I was recently looking for a specific automation tool for my Raspberry Pi and found one that almost did what I needed but wasn't compatible with System V. It was open-source on Github though, so I made the changes I needed, found and fixed a bug in the tool, and then submitted them to the project and the author checked them out and pulled them in. Let your needs guide you, because if you need something then other people probably need it too.

I saw the Monogame Github and got turned off it, because a lot of the issues were scary to a newbie like me. I haven't got any viable experience with Monogame. I haven't had the time to code for a while.

All the more reason to give it a try.  Look carefully at some of the issues.  They may look daunting at first but some of them are as simple as removing unused constants and changing comments to fit in with the style guidelines.   Once you start to find your way around the code you can have a crack at some of the trickier issues or improovements.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!