Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WinXP meets Visual C++. Anyone else having problems?

This topic is 5865 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Anyone having problems using Windows XP with Visual C++ 6.0? VC++ loads up, and I try and compile a simple "Hello World" Win32 app, for example and it crashes, saying "The instruction at "0x73dd1351" referenced memory at "0x00000004", The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program. Is anyone having this similar problem? Has anyone fixed this problem? And yes, I''ve used the compatibility modesm selecting them all, from Win98 to WinNT, and it still doesn''t work. Please let hear your XPeriences as well with using VC++ 6.0, whether it be success or failure. I wanna know if it its just me or if its many others who are having this same problem so I know where to point the finger. Jeremy P. "I Vanna Fryyyy Skyyyy Hiiiiiiigh! Vroooll to get Vyyy!" -Sega''''s "Daytona USA"

I have been using VC6 on Windows XP for the past 4 months, and I have not experienced any problems of this sort.

~~~~~~~~~~
"Usewhitespacetoenhancereadability" - Steve McConnell, Code Complete

Guest Anonymous Poster
no i don''t get that problem, but i get some weird error saying "
error 0x000083 at a memory address.". plus my framerates have gone down to almost nothing since i installed xp...although that could be the result of something i had done, i haven''t checked it out yet. but yeah i get some problems in d3d apps since installing xp...

Guest Anonymous Poster
I''ve been using XP since beta, I think around March maybe? I haven''t experienced any problems. In fact, VC++ 6.0 seems more stable under XP than it did under 2000.

Yes, I upgraded, but put everything on a new hard drive disk just installing XP, then using the Win98 disk to verify that I was legit to upgrade.

Okay, so one or two is having similar problems....hmmm...Martee''s is fine......hmmm

/me is still listening

"I Vanna Fryyyy Skyyyy Hiiiiiiigh! Vroooll to get Vyyy!" -Sega''''s "Daytona USA"

I want to say thank you to all who have participated in my survey of sorts.

The problem is resolved!! I have successfully reinstalled Visual C++ 6.0 and afterwards installed Visual C++ Service Pak 5, ran a couple "Hello World" Programs! And Voila! It works.

It seems I had too much RAM installed in my system. Anything about about 320RAM, the apps then crash.

I never knew you can have TOO MUCH RAM.

"I Vanna Fryyyy Skyyyy Hiiiiiiigh! Vroooll to get Vyyy!" -Sega''''s "Daytona USA"

Your motherboard can only handle a certain amount of RAm; you should read your Mother Board''s manual next time. Your lucky that was the only problem you had.

Artificial intelligence is the devil... resist intelligent NPC''s

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you..."~Friedrich Nietzsche

Guest Anonymous Poster
Yeah, there is no such thing as too much RAM as long as (a) it''s within the specs of your motherboard, and (b) it''s not defective. XP and VC++ combined probably stressed more physical RAM than you had stressed previously, thus uncovering the hardware problem.

I commend you for seeking an answer before declaring "Micro$oft SUX!!!!!!" and blaming their software like many others would have.

Thing is, that it can handle up to a gig of PC 100 SDRAM and even if it is, let''s say 500 Ram, the programs go bonkers.

That''s more exactly what I mean.

Possible that one of you''re modules is defective. Try to take out all youre memory banks and test them one by one. Just put one bank in, boot Winblows Xtra Problems and run some "Hello World" programs. If the program keeps running there is no problem, switch off you''re PC, get the bank out and put another in and do it again. Takes some time but maybe you find out that one of you''re modules is broken. It''s also possible that there is some oxidation on the copper that is causing the problem. Take a piece of toilet paper and gently scrub the copper(Don''t blame me if you mess uo you''re module! This is at you''re own risk!). It worked for me more than one time(Worked in a PC shop and fixed lots of memory modules this way!)

Sand Hawk

-Earth is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can.

That''s funny. I''ve done that with some tissues before you even mentioned that, a day ago. Though I didn''t think of doing it systematically like that,one by one. I most likely will.

(And one of the lessons I''ve learned from this is to buy name brand tested RAM now. Like from Dell or someone, rather than just the cheapest registered RAM off of www.pricewatch.com. At least I can have reassurance then.)

i have also had problems with VC++ 6.0 and WinXP. tho, not with programs crashing. ONLY code completion does NOT function correctly. when i type a statement like "this->" the list of members does NOT appear. really annoying, when your dealing with 50,000 lines of code. so here i am, back in Win2K world. i like it better, anyway. it''s just a bit slower than WinXP.

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.

the problem with "this->" members not popping up is not because of windows xp...

more likely from it not having a compile update or something...

I''ve also had some errors with vc++ (and yes it''s installed fresh on a new hard and I have vc++ pro)

Sometimes when going to run my programs, I get that unable to read memory location error. It worked fine on 98 so it''s not my memory modules or anything...I''m just waiting for an update.

Pactuul