Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Borland C++ 5.5 questions

This topic is 5869 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. I had two simple questions about this. On my older Win98 machine, I normally used VC++ 6.0 for Windows applications, and GCC for DOS and OS programming. Well, I am starting to develop on my Win2K machine, and I heard GCC doesn''t work 100% correctly with it. So, instead I downloaded the free Borland C++ 5.5. I was curious, is this a good compiler for (simple) OS developing, and also, where and how can I find information on inline assembly with this? I can''t find resources that explain Borland''s syntax for this. So, thanks very much for your help. I am not worthy of a sig!

Oh, that''s good, maybe I will install GCC again then. However, if Borland has the "easy" assembly format, then I prefer that, getting used to AT&T syntax was difficult, well, not so much that, but the way you had to pass variables and stuff. So, this is great. Thanks guys.

Also, I have begun using Bochs just because I couldn''t keep rebooting to test things. So, now all I need to know is how to take my .ASM (or .CPP) file I have written up for NASM (or BC++) and convert it to a .IMG file I can use in the emulator. I also can''t find information on this topic. And how do I create a bochsrc file for it to use? Any ideas?

Thanks again!

I am not worthy of a sig!

Thanks, and no, I never saw those. They answered several questions that I still had. However, I have one more.

Can I use NASM to compile a .ASM file into an .IMG file, and use Bochs to to emulate it? Or do I have to use the .IMG file creator supplied with Bochs? That, as far as I knew, created a floppy image or harddrive image, but these images do not have the code I want to test on them. What is the purpose of that then? I might have missed something in the reading. Thanks.

I got Bochs to use my IMG files good, so that is all under control well.
Now I am just a little confused. I downloaded the Borland C++Builder Command Line Tools, from a link to the Borland site. Is this still a good tool to use, or not? All I really wanted is a free, DOS based C (or C++, but I don''t really use OOP) compiler, that has a very easy inline assembly function (Intel syntax). Should I try Turbo C++, or Borland C++, or what? I''m confused, so your help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

quote:
Original post by barazor

yeah, i really wish the gcc people would make their compiler use intel asm syntax instead of that awful at&t crap...

If you read about why they use AT&T syntax, you''ll see the advantages (it really does have a lot of advantages). AT&T syntax is also the standard for Unix, that''s why the continue to use it. Yes, it is harder to write though.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]