Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jim bob

Borland C++ 5.5 questions

Hello. I had two simple questions about this. On my older Win98 machine, I normally used VC++ 6.0 for Windows applications, and GCC for DOS and OS programming. Well, I am starting to develop on my Win2K machine, and I heard GCC doesn''t work 100% correctly with it. So, instead I downloaded the free Borland C++ 5.5. I was curious, is this a good compiler for (simple) OS developing, and also, where and how can I find information on inline assembly with this? I can''t find resources that explain Borland''s syntax for this. So, thanks very much for your help. I am not worthy of a sig!

Oh, that''s good, maybe I will install GCC again then. However, if Borland has the "easy" assembly format, then I prefer that, getting used to AT&T syntax was difficult, well, not so much that, but the way you had to pass variables and stuff. So, this is great. Thanks guys.

Also, I have begun using Bochs just because I couldn''t keep rebooting to test things. So, now all I need to know is how to take my .ASM (or .CPP) file I have written up for NASM (or BC++) and convert it to a .IMG file I can use in the emulator. I also can''t find information on this topic. And how do I create a bochsrc file for it to use? Any ideas?

Thanks again!

I am not worthy of a sig!

"GCC" isn''t a problem, DJGPP is. It doesn''t always run reliably in Win2k. However, MinGW, the Windows port of GCC, runs great.

Now as for your question ... did you check out these docs?

Thanks, and no, I never saw those. They answered several questions that I still had. However, I have one more.

Can I use NASM to compile a .ASM file into an .IMG file, and use Bochs to to emulate it? Or do I have to use the .IMG file creator supplied with Bochs? That, as far as I knew, created a floppy image or harddrive image, but these images do not have the code I want to test on them. What is the purpose of that then? I might have missed something in the reading. Thanks.

I got Bochs to use my IMG files good, so that is all under control well.
Now I am just a little confused. I downloaded the Borland C++Builder Command Line Tools, from a link to the Borland site. Is this still a good tool to use, or not? All I really wanted is a free, DOS based C (or C++, but I don''t really use OOP) compiler, that has a very easy inline assembly function (Intel syntax). Should I try Turbo C++, or Borland C++, or what? I''m confused, so your help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

quote:
Original post by barazor

yeah, i really wish the gcc people would make their compiler use intel asm syntax instead of that awful at&t crap...

If you read about why they use AT&T syntax, you''ll see the advantages (it really does have a lot of advantages). AT&T syntax is also the standard for Unix, that''s why the continue to use it. Yes, it is harder to write though.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

quote:
Original post by barazor
yeah, i really wish the gcc people would make their compiler use intel asm syntax instead of that awful at&t crap...

In addition to everything Null and Void said, AT&T syntax came first (so there! ) It even predates C!