Sign in to follow this  

Note to self

This topic is 659 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Fortunately we had good QA at a previous job, but once I was using SHDeleteFile and apparently instead of deleting a specific directory, I was deleting EVERY directory!

DELETE ALL THE DIRECTORIES!!!!

QA noticed it during install once Windows started throwing up errors.  Apparently not all critical files are locked at all times, but when it needs them and they aren't there then it's not a good thing.  XD

Pff.

You're supposed to crawl the LAN for open file shares and delete everything on there, too.

Noob.

The only reason that didn't happen is because I don't have a LAN here. The rogue script started scaling up directories until it became basically rm -rf /* (ouch)

I'm never again going to automate cleanup, I swear -_-;

Fortunately we had good QA at a previous job, but once I was using SHDeleteFile and apparently instead of deleting a specific directory, I was deleting EVERY directory!

DELETE ALL THE DIRECTORIES!!!!

QA noticed it during install once Windows started throwing up errors.  Apparently not all critical files are locked at all times, but when it needs them and they aren't there then it's not a good thing.  XD

Good thing QA "noticed" it laugh.png

I'm never again going to automate cleanup, I swear ;

Nah, it's OK if you just have a manifest of file names, no wildcards or recursive deletes...
Not that good an option when what you're cleaning up has a file structure about as complex as your game assets x_x; (is it any wonder why I'd do cleanup before backing up?)

Good thing QA "noticed" it

Well they noticed that uninstall was taking a lot longer than usual, but they kept just reverting to snapshots so it took a little while to actually realize what was happening.  XD

What that really means is that I obviously didn't test that change out myself or my dev box would have been bricked.  Note to self, don't test stuff or you may end up bricking your dev box!

You know, decided to read this one:

If you deleted the filesystem without bricking the machine then you're just a newbie: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/2402

Huh, wow. Why the heck are firmware variables writable by a non-privileged user? And why the fuck are there people who insist this is a good idea?!

You know, decided to read this one:

If you deleted the filesystem without bricking the machine then you're just a newbie: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/2402

Huh, wow. Why the heck are firmware variables writable by a non-privileged user? And why the fuck are there people who insist this is a good idea?!

The variables are only writable by root, a privileged user. I think the argument is that this should be restricted to a level above root where a concious decision must be made to put the device into firmware mode of sorts. E.g. you usually have to do something special to the os or bios to prepare to flash it...

Nope, that has been argued in that thread already, it's not mounted as writable only by root, even though the commands that would need to be able to write to it could easily justify demanding root privileges. It seems that they want to be able to reboot into the EFI settings menu... ok I don't even understand the logic here.

But the problem is that you can brick your system without root privileges it seems. And that the argument to defend this is that the brickable systems don't conform to the standard. Dunno, even if it didn't brick the machine I'd think you don't want a typo'd command to mess with the system settings in the first place.

This topic is 659 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.