Sign in to follow this  

Game Design Student

This topic is 656 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone I'm a second year game design student about to take my first steps into the industry. I was curious if anyone had any tips as to how to get your name out there, what to expect starting with a studio, and what struggles to expect etc. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

-Thanks All  

If you want to get your name out there then make some games.  There are hundreds of different frameworks out there that allow anybody no matter how little coding experience they have to create games for Desktop, Web, Mobile or Console.

Not to discourage you but design is a super hard job to land especially straight out of school. They are usually reserved for more experienced people in the industry. That aside its all about networking and your portfolio.

Make sure you have a strong portfolio then make it twice as good because you are competing against an overcrowded job market with a small number of jobs. 

After that make sure you are going to local game dev meetups and talking with people there as well as sharing ideas and your portfolio.

Here is a website that can help make finding these meetups a lot easier, depending on where you live.

http://www.meetup.com/topics/gamedev/ 

Edited by DerekL

Thanks for the advice guys, and sorry for posting in the wrong location. I'll continue to work on making my portfolio top notch! That's the number one thing I hear from people in industry is just make games, make a bunch, so I'll continue to explore different games and work upon what I've learned.

no worries on discouraging me I know game designer is a high up position and I'll probably have to start lower and work myself up ; D

This topic is 656 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.