Game Design Student

Started by
7 comments, last by Tom Sloper 8 years, 1 month ago

Hello everyone I'm a second year game design student about to take my first steps into the industry. I was curious if anyone had any tips as to how to get your name out there, what to expect starting with a studio, and what struggles to expect etc. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

-Thanks All

Advertisement

Do work beyond and above what you do for school... build a great portfolio. You should have many things to show even before you start working for a studio.

Work hard, and don't expect too much. At least at the beginning.

I starting game design student as well and I want to make connections in the industry. If anyone has any helpful advice for starting up in the industry please send me a chat.

Thanks

Thanks for your imput Gian-Reto much appreciated, I'll continue to expand my skills and go above and beyond whats expected of me.

Moving this to Game Industry Job Advice. scroller, you might want to check out the GIJA FAQs.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

If you want to get your name out there then make some games. There are hundreds of different frameworks out there that allow anybody no matter how little coding experience they have to create games for Desktop, Web, Mobile or Console.

Not to discourage you but design is a super hard job to land especially straight out of school. They are usually reserved for more experienced people in the industry. That aside its all about networking and your portfolio.

Make sure you have a strong portfolio then make it twice as good because you are competing against an overcrowded job market with a small number of jobs.

After that make sure you are going to local game dev meetups and talking with people there as well as sharing ideas and your portfolio.

Here is a website that can help make finding these meetups a lot easier, depending on where you live.

http://www.meetup.com/topics/gamedev/

Thanks for the advice guys, and sorry for posting in the wrong location. I'll continue to work on making my portfolio top notch! That's the number one thing I hear from people in industry is just make games, make a bunch, so I'll continue to explore different games and work upon what I've learned.

no worries on discouraging me I know game designer is a high up position and I'll probably have to start lower and work myself up ; D

I'll probably have to start lower and work myself up

And you'll probably enjoy the process.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement