Sign in to follow this  

Find triangles half of surface, and tetrahedron half of volume

This topic is 675 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

triv.png

on pic you see that blue color has the same area as red one  (and they are not sliced)

i need to find new base and new h that  it will have half of original tri area [to be more precise for triangle i need the point ].And for tetrahedron thing i think i will have to start from that tip of pyramid, otherwise it will break my calculations  :x

for thetrahedron it seems it has the same base * height  problem, anyway i need to find the point that lies on new base if i find new h for that base, so it will have half volume of original one, i will be able to easily claculate the point for it

all triangle vertices are known, (for thetrahedron base and h is known too). triangle can be any triangle.

Edited by WiredCat

For cutting a triangle in half, based on your image, the dimensions of the cut are like so: 

WLlkGWb.png

The same thing goes for pyramid with a triangle base, otherwise known as a 3-simplex. Multiply the height of the triangle by sqrt(2)/2 and that's how far down from the tip you have to go before you can cut perpendicularly to get a 3-simplex with half the volume

Edited by CulDeChu

i think that wont work for tris and tetrahedrons liek this. base is uknnown and i pick it as the first side of triangle, thus the height is easy one (modified closestpointonline)

tris2.png

what i actually have is the base and height of tetrahedron, verts etc.

for triangles i start with 3 vertices only

edit.

after some research i think my solution to all problem is easy: geometric center.:)

Edited by WiredCat

This topic is 675 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.