Sign in to follow this  

Best C# tutorials?

This topic is 651 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have read through the whitaker and xna GPA tutorials, both of which were excellent. I don't have much time to code right now but have short stints with which i may continue learning things throughout the day. Are there any other particularly good tutorials geared towards game programming? What about for coding in C#, in general? I would welcome any particularly good books on the topic, as well, as I wouldn't mind spending money for good information. 

Charles Petzold's free .Net book zero is very impressive, but I have no idea how much has changed since 2007 that I should be wary of as I read. Any thoughts on reading tutorials written on older versions of the C# framework?

Edited by WilkinsMicawber

C# in a nutshell 5.0 is a good start.

Chapters 1-6 are the basics of C#/.Net and CLR. (However, there's another great book to learn how the CLR works).

Then learn the other chapters when you got the time. Remember that programming is always about learning, you do not stop because you've finished a chapter or a book. 

Charles Petzold's free .Net book zero is very impressive, but I have no idea how much has changed since 2007 that I should be wary of as I read. Any thoughts on reading tutorials written on older versions of the C# framework?

You're going to miss out on a lot of newer idioms and practices from updated versions of the framework and the language itself. 2007 is practically archaeological history in terms of software evolution.

It won't hurt too much to read older references, but be sure to brush up on more modern resources before you get too used to outdated ways of doing things. For the most part C# has changed a lot for the better in 9 years.

I'm currently doing exactly what you are trying to do. First recommendation is get RB Witakers C# Players guide. If you are new to programming and want to learn the basics and intermediate knowledge of C# its by far one of the best books out there. And with the second edition made for VS2015 its very up to date. Buying a book on Xna is a good place to start. Since Monogame's framework is basically an extension of Xna, Xna books are pretty useful. I would recommend Kurt Jaegers Game Development by Example. It gets you coding fast and explains things very well. Some of his methods and practices arn't the best but for a biginner its perfect, its gets you coding which is the most important thing. If you want to get into more "Modern" C# and Monogame/Xna books Apress has a wonderful section of books for this.

C# Players Guide:  http://www.amazon.com/The-Players-Guide-RB-Whitaker/dp/0985580100

Kurt Jaegers Learn by Example: http://www.amazon.com/XNA-4-0-Game-Development-Example/dp/1849690669

Apress 2D Game Development: http://www.apress.com/9781430266044?gtmf=s

Monogame Forums: http://community.monogame.net/

There are tutorials on Youtube also. I personally have purchased all three of these books and with zero programming experience have learned very much with them. Good luck!

You're going to miss out on a lot of newer idioms and practices from updated versions of the framework and the language itself. 2007 is practically archaeological history in terms of software evolution.

It won't hurt too much to read older references, but be sure to brush up on more modern resources before you get too used to outdated ways of doing things. For the most part C# has changed a lot for the better in 9 years.

Question: In what ways? I've seen people complaining about Unity using an extremely outdated version of .NET, but I don't see why that's such an issue. What features in the newer versions of .NET and C# make it worth upgrading?

This topic is 651 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.