• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
eyuzwa

OpenGL what are you using as "best in slot" libs for direct3d9/11?

This topic is 974 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all,

First off huge apologies if this is the incorrect forum..I'll gladly move it if necessary.

Been using opengl for a long time and want to get back into d3d9 + win32 coding. Assuming I want to start releasing things for people to run, I'm on the lookout for any "best in slot" type of suggestions for libraries that are being used in conjunction with d3d.

Audio - Bass, libsndfile

Input - ?? (is something like getasynckeystate() good enough?)

Networking - libcurl (for handling basic POST / GET requests for tokens / data or high scores, etc)

TrueTypeFont and/or bitmap fonts - freetype

Thanks for any suggestions! I'd love to hear your input -- I know I've been out of some loops for a very long time (circa dx8.1 baby!)

Advertisement

It's DirectX 11-based, but if that's not a problem, you can go pretty far with just what is in the DirectX Toolkit 

I don't think it has any networking code built in, and I'm not too familiar with what the offerings are in that area.

Interesting - thanks a lot, I'll check this project out. :bow:

Audio - Bass, libsndfile

For simple audio, SDL2 + SDL_mixer2. For more production-grade work, you'll want to get a free license to Wwise or FMOD.

SDL2.

Networking - libcurl (for handling basic POST / GET requests for tokens / data or high scores, etc)

Microsoft's cpprestdk, or just keep using libcurl.

Note that cpprestsdk also gives you PPLX (a limited but cross-platform version of the Parallel Programming Library) which is a very good tool for indie/hobby games to make proper use of modern multicore systems.

SDL2 for bitmap fonts, SDL_ttf2 for TrueType fonts, or just keep using freetype.

For audio I prefer FMOD. Directx toolkit as mentioned above.
If you go for d3d9 I advise to use DirectXMath with assimp over D3DX, which makes moving to d3d11 later on, easier.

Or go for d3d11 right away, if that's an option for your goal/ audience.

Also VLD is a good library for managing memory (leaks).

Audio - Bass, libsndfile

For simple audio, SDL2 + SDL_mixer2. For more production-grade work, you'll want to get a free license to Wwise or FMOD.

SDL2.

Microsoft's cpprestdk, or just keep using libcurl.

Note that cpprestsdk also gives you PPLX (a limited but cross-platform version of the Parallel Programming Library) which is a very good tool for indie/hobby games to make proper use of modern multicore systems.

SDL2 for bitmap fonts, SDL_ttf2 for TrueType fonts, or just keep using freetype.

SDL2 all the things? :)

That's pretty much all I've been doing @Sean, I just wanted to poke my head out of that space to get a bearing of what's going on in the D3D based world...

:thumbsup:

For audio I prefer FMOD. Directx toolkit as mentioned above.
If you go for d3d9 I advise to use DirectXMath with assimp over D3DX, which makes moving to d3d11 later on, easier.

Or go for d3d11 right away, if that's an option for your goal/ audience.

Also VLD is a good library for managing memory (leaks).

thanks man. I'll take a look at DirectXMath as well as VLD -- memory leaks bad so anything to help on that front is a win

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!