• Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By Krypt0n
      Finally the ray tracing geekyness starts:
      lets collect some interesting articles, I start with:
    • By lubbe75
      What is the best practice when you want to draw a surface (for instance a triangle strip) with a uniform color?
      At the moment I send vertices to the shader, where each vertice has both position and color information. Since all vertices for that triangle strip have the same color I thought I could reduce memory use by sending the color separate somehow. A vertex could then be represented by three floats instead of seven (xyz instead of xys + rgba).
      Does it make sense? What's the best practice?
    • By ZachBethel
      Hey all,
      I'm trying to understand implicit state promotion for directx 12 as well as its intended use case. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn899226(v=vs.85).aspx#implicit_state_transitions
      I'm attempting to utilize copy queues and finding that there's a lot of book-keeping I need to do to first "pre-transition" from my Graphics / Compute Read-Only state (P-SRV | NP-SRV) to Common, Common to Copy Dest, perform the copy on the copy command list, transition back to common, and then find another graphics command list to do the final Common -> (P-SRV | NP-SRV) again.
      With state promotion, it would seem that I can 'nix the Common -> Copy Dest, Copy Dest -> Common bits on the copy queue easily enough, but I'm curious whether I could just keep all of my "read-only" buffers and images in the common state and effectively not perform any barriers at all.
      This seems to be encouraged by the docs, but I'm not sure I fully understand the implications. Does this sound right?
    • By NikiTo
      I need to share heap between RTV and Stencil. I need to render to a texture and without copying it(only changing the barriers, etc) to be able to use that texture as stencil. without copying nothing around. But the creating of the placed resource fails. I think it could be because of the D3D12_RESOURCE_DESC has 8_UINT format, but D3D12_RESOURCE_FLAG_ALLOW_DEPTH_STENCIL enabled too, and MSDN says Stencil does not support that format. Is the format the problem? And if the format is the problem, what format I have to use?

For the texture of that resource I have the flags like: "D3D12_RESOURCE_FLAG_ALLOW_RENDER_TARGET | D3D12_RESOURCE_FLAG_ALLOW_DEPTH_STENCIL" and it fails, but when I remove the allow-stencil flag, it works.
    • By ritzmax72
      I know vertex buffer is just another GPU resource represented by ID3D12Resource, but why is it said that vertex buffer don’t need a descriptor heap??
      Other resources like depth/stencil resource, swap chain’s buffer need to have descriptor heaps. How does these resources differ from vertex buffer.
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

DX12 D3D12: Number of depth stencil views?

This topic is 768 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am creating a render setup that has 2 frames.  I've noticed, looking through the DirectX 12 Graphics Samples that, when using a similar setup, the samples create 2 RenderTargetViews but only 1 DepthStencilView.  Why is that?  Wouldn't you want the same number of DepthStencilViews as RenderTargetViews?

Chances are that what you're seeing is one render target view per buffer in the double-buffered Swap Chain and a single depth stencil texture and view.

Two render target views are required because each one views a different resource in the swap chain. While one is being rendered to, the other is being "scanned out" and displayed on your monitor. Since the depth buffer is not part of the swap chain then there's no need for there to be two depth textures or two depth stencil views.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement