• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
IADaveMark

What AI Problems do YOU want discussed at the AI Summit?

This topic is 871 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement

How an AI manages a large-scale battle in an RPG with many units and unit types. For example - When to retreat, which units should target others, group movement during the battle, consideration of reinforcements.

I do have a question, and it's a big one, leaving your panel gasping for air :p

It's not game-related, but may be fun to ask anyway.

As you may know, RoboCup is a world-wide effort to create intelligent robots. http://www.robocup.org/about-robocup/

RoboCup@home is a part of it, where the aim is to build robots that act intelligently in real-time, interacting with humans in a house or public area. RoboCupRescue aims to build robots to find and help people in disaster locations.

A real-world environment is a highly confusing world. A house is a very dis-organized place. Tasks are very diverse, and perhaps not even known beforehand. Real-time interaction puts heavy constraints on what can be computed. In closer interaction (eg lifting someone out of bed, or digging someone out after a house collapsed), safety is a big concern.

What can the (game) AI community advice to make this work?

Maybe to abstract but I would love to get insight in how a professional would approach SRPG/TRPG AI namely how to get good team work rather than just separate entities all just doing there own thing.

Maybe to abstract but I would love to get insight in how a professional would approach SRPG/TRPG AI namely how to get good team work rather than just separate entities all just doing there own thing

That's actually a decent (and relatively common) one. Phrase it as something specific and I'm sure we can make it work.

I do have a question, and it's a big one, leaving your panel gasping for air tongue.png

It's not game-related, but may be fun to ask anyway.

As you may know, RoboCup is a world-wide effort to create intelligent robots. http://www.robocup.org/about-robocup/

RoboCup@home is a part of it, where the aim is to build robots that act intelligently in real-time, interacting with humans in a house or public area. RoboCupRescue aims to build robots to find and help people in disaster locations.

A real-world environment is a highly confusing world. A house is a very dis-organized place. Tasks are very diverse, and perhaps not even known beforehand. Real-time interaction puts heavy constraints on what can be computed. In closer interaction (eg lifting someone out of bed, or digging someone out after a house collapsed), safety is a big concern.

What can the (game) AI community advice to make this work?

Way too broad and only loosely related to game dev. Remember, our audience is going to be game AI devs who are looking for solutions they can apply to their own projects. Perhaps by turning this on its head and simply asking something along the lines of handling cluttered, unknown, PCG, environments? Of course, we already have a session about that this year courtesy of Damian Isla and John Abercrombie.

http://schedule.gdconf.com/session/ai-for-generated-worlds 

How an AI manages a large-scale battle in an RPG with many units and unit types. For example - When to retreat, which units should target others, group movement during the battle, consideration of reinforcements.

Spoilers.

Hmmm... this keeps coming up. Odd, that...

I don't know.how about:

How to get good team work out of individual entities in an SRPG/TRPG.

or 

How professionals would approach SRPG/TRPG AI.

or

Putting the teamwork in Tactical game AI.

or

Tactical game AI a professional approach.

As you can tell I'm not particularly good at this, anyone want to help me come up with a title.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!