Sign in to follow this  

Is it worth it to learn LUA scripting for the AAA game industry?

This topic is 653 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Even smaller games like WoW use LUA (->UI) ;-). Considering, that LUA is a very simple(!), robust, fast, powerful scripting language, I would even encourage to learn it without some big AAA title backing it up.

Stingray use lua and i think Lumberyard/cryengine also use it in some way. I used Lua in bitsquid/stingray and it's mostly about learning the structure of the lua code and the interface to the engine. Lua itself is easy to learn and it does not take much time to understand the basics.

Learning something new is never not worth it.  Even if your studio uses a different programming language it is still useful to learn LUA as it gives you a different perspective on things.

While I agree learning something new is good, it's much easier to learn something you find interesting.  If there is some other language you'd rather learn, or something else that's currently got you curious, just go do that instead.  

The more languages the know the better, even better when you spread your knowledge across a number of different paradigms. 

The reason for this is that most languages have some feature that differentiates them or they force you to work and think in a different way. This gives you a far wider grab bag of techniques and solutions when working on things, no matter the language.

I made the jump into functional languages a couple of years back. I mostly work in OO languages but find that a lot of the functional techniques have saved me or made my OO code more streamlined and easier to reuse etc. 

Knowledge is a good thing :)

Honestly, I think Lua and Python are the most recommended languages to learn for scripting. As I've stated many times during my advice, there is no such thing as a "waste of time" when learning a language. Every language you learn gives a different perspective of how to solve problems as every language has different ways of solving them. The only time something becomes a waste is when you get tired of doing it. There is always something fun about learning a new language. 

It depends. Do you intend on becoming a programmer or designer?

Lua may be useful to a programmer, though it is arguably just "another script" and can be learned on-the-side when needed.

As a designer though, there are quite a few more "technical" positions you can open up for yourself when you know at least one scripting language. In my area, AAA studios rarely hire for junior designers, but they occasionally hire designers with a technical background as it avoids them the need to train in-house and has value for them. 

Make yourself valuable = get yourself hired!

maybe get a textbook

Not for Lua. It really is trivial.

Eehhh I actually liked the Programming in Lua book and have it here with me now (the orange version). Some of the concepts are just sort of weird, like metatables and whatnot, so I like to have a language reference. But, the Lua website has pretty much all of this info so the book isn't really necessary.

maybe get a textbook

Not for Lua. It really is trivial.

Eehhh I actually liked the Programming in Lua book and have it here with me now (the orange version). Some of the concepts are just sort of weird, like metatables and whatnot, so I like to have a language reference. But, the Lua website has pretty much all of this info so the book isn't really necessary.

I just don't want the poor guy spending money and then regretting it is all. If you really prefer a book then by all means just 'do you'.

You can just read the online version instead of forking out before knowing whether you need it smile.png

http://www.lua.org/pil/contents.html

This is for Lua 5.0. Latest is 5.3.2 just making that known so there will be significant differences.

Lua was my first programming language then I transitioned to Java and C#. One of my C# Projects will integrate Lua. Its pretty easy to learn, simple, fast, extendible. Go for it.

...I know C++ and C#

If you know C++ and C#, the Lua programming language will be trivial to learn. That's one of the reasons it's so popular, the language itself has a minimal learning curve.

Learning the bindings for Lua would be much more worthwhile for a C++ programmer. There's some good wrappers available, but the actual Lua bindings for C are surprisingly low-level and it can be pretty tricky to set up an ideal script-side interface for calling into C++ code.

This topic is 653 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.