Sign in to follow this  

DXGI format question.

This topic is 662 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

One of textures in my GBuffer has format  DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM.

GBuffer uses only first 3 bytes of it.

For my SSAO buffer I created a separate texture, SRV, and RTV with format DXGI_FORMAT_R8_UNORM

In separate SSAO pass I write to the SSAO RTV.

I would like to save 2MB of VRAM.

Is it possible to reuse last byte of a texture DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_UNORM to render SSAO data and to read data from it?

It would make sense only if writes from SSAO pass to the last byte would not rewrite first 3 bytes that are already written by GBuffer pass.

If it is possible, what formats should I use for:

1. GBuffer's SRV and RTV

2. RTV and SRV for SSAO pass?

I was looking in to dxgiformat.h and could not find neither DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8_UNORM_X8_TYPELESS nor DXGI_FORMAT_X24_TYPELESS_G8_UNORM.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Happy SDE

Depending on whether performance or saving memory is your primary concern, this may not be a wise idea.

If saving as much memory as possible is your aim, then what you've done is probably fine.

If saving GPU time is the goal, then I think you'll only make things worse (YMMV). The SSAO pass may only write 1 byte out of the 4, but the GPU can only write at the granularity of one cache line (~64 bytes), so it's going to have to Read-Modify-Write the memory to insert your 'alpha' bytes. Instead of writing "Width * Height * 1" bytes of data, it probably now has to read "Width * Height * 4" bytes, modify and write "Width * Height * 4" bytes, an 8-fold increase in bandwidth over just writing R8_UNORM.

Then, when you come to read this hybrid GBuffer/SSAO data, do you read them in separate passes or both at the same time? If they're read at different times, the SSAO-reading pass has to read Width * Height * 4 bytes again (since it can't read just 1 byte ouf ot the 4), rather than just 1 byte per pixel in the R8_UNORM case.

Adam Miles, on 17 Feb 2016 - 7:05 PM, said:Adam Miles, on 17 Feb 2016 - 7:05 PM, said:Adam Miles, on 17 Feb 2016 - 7:05 PM, said:

Depending on whether performance or saving memory is your primary concern, this may not be a wise idea.

If saving as much memory as possible is your aim, then what you've done is probably fine.

If saving GPU time is the goal, then I think you'll only make things worse (YMMV). The SSAO pass may only write 1 byte out of the 4, but the GPU can only write at the granularity of one cache line (~64 bytes), so it's going to have to Read-Modify-Write the memory to insert your 'alpha' bytes. Instead of writing "Width * Height * 1" bytes of data, it probably now has to read "Width * Height * 4" bytes, modify and write "Width * Height * 4" bytes, an 8-fold increase in bandwidth over just writing R8_UNORM.

Then, when you come to read this hybrid GBuffer/SSAO data, do you read them in separate passes or both at the same time? If they're read at different times, the SSAO-reading pass has to read Width * Height * 4 bytes again (since it can't read just 1 byte ouf ot the 4), rather than just 1 byte per pixel in the R8_UNORM case.

Thank you Adam for the note.

My current SSAO implementation consist of 3 passes:

1. Compute SSAO: data is written into A-channel of 32-bit texture.

2. Horizontal bilateral edge preserving blur: data is read from the texture and written to R8_UNORM.

3. Vertical blur pass: read from R8_UNORM and write to A-channel of 32-bit texture.

Final lighting pass reads 32-bit texture.

I do not measure performance right now.

I am just learning DX =)

But I can see FPS drop (below 60) in 2 cases:

1. 20.000 objects, 6.000.000 triangles + about 65 light sources

2. 2.500 objects, 1.300.000 triangles, most of them are transparent + 14 light sources.

I am definitely planning to measure performance at some point in the future when I will break in the industry.

I presume it's much faster to learn this topic from face-to-face communication, than trying to learn it from scratch by myself.

If there will be a bottle neck in SSAO effect, I will for sure try to use your suggestion and will create second texture for SSAO effect only.

And may be will do SSAO at half resolution =)

Edited by Happy SDE

This topic is 662 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.