Sign in to follow this  

Did I screw myself by hitting Publish app on Android?

This topic is 668 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've noticed that on the Google Play app market, there is a section for recent apps. I was wondering if anyone knew how they determine if your app is recent? A few months ago I submitted an apk to the alpha section in the developer console. I hit the publish button. Since it was only in alpha nobody could see it as expected. However, did I screw myself by hitting publish though? By doing that does google play market now think my app is a few months old? Or is google play smart enough to know that the app is new once you submit a production build for the first time?

You most likely didnt and honestly, unless your app has gotten thousands of downloads in a short period of time, Google will never post your app in that section. The apps selected to be in those sections are all based on app statistics; downlads, ratings, etc.

You most likely didnt and honestly, unless your app has gotten thousands of downloads in a short period of time, Google will never post your app in that section. The apps selected to be in those sections are all based on app statistics; downlads, ratings, etc.

You're probably right. I figured there would be a download bump for apps just recently added for a day or so. I didn't want to miss out on it. Guess there is nothing I can do about it anyway. 

Edited by Njguy

I'm not sure how Google's appstore works, but couldn't you just take your alpha version down, and create a "new" app (from the Appstore's perspective) when you have your final product?

Unfortunately not really, it's all tied in to in app purchases, game center etc. 

No, it will not count as a "new app" until you have published it for download by anyone as a "production" apk.

You are supposed to upload to alpha pretty early, and you have to "publish" it there for it to be possible to debug things like game center and in app purchase. (and anything else that need certificates)

As someone who have published games which have shown up in "new apps" I'm 100% sure of this.

The Google Play UI is a bit weird until you get used to it...

Was really weird to have to publish a dummy apk just to get access to keys I needed to actually implement my apk... 
Edited by Olof Hedman

This topic is 668 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.