Getting started again.

Started by
9 comments, last by Sdhillon 8 years, 1 month ago

Alright i am getting started again to pursue my game designer career. I just started college and all the crazy moving and family stuff has settled i can focus again.

I am pursuing a information system degree.

i have advanced knowledge of the Unity engine

I have been gone for a while from game development and i am refreshing myself on alot of stuff. I did work a little bit on a indie project as a level designer but my cpu was wiped (my poor portfolio) and my old maps are gone. I am basically starting over and wanted to know what is the best software for a level designer. Also what is the hiring process for such a position at studios. And lastly if anyone is recruiting a level designer please let me know i would love to get my hands dirty in a project again after all this time.

Advertisement

what is the best software for a level designer

vvvvv

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

what is the best software for a level designer

vvvvv

I just started to notice a trend towards unreal engine 4 and have started to learn that trying to build a portfolio, do employers consider levels that are mods good or do they like things from scratch more.

what is the best software for a level designer.

You should ask that question in the Game Design forum. But your assumption is flawed (that the industry recognizes just ONE. BEST. ANYTHING.)

If you apply to a Unreal house, the best software is Unreal. Apply to a Unity house, and the best software is Unity.

Also what is the hiring process for such a position at studios. And lastly if anyone is recruiting a level designer please let me know i would love to get my hands dirty in a project again after all this time.

Moving this to the Game Industry Job Advice forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

do employers consider levels that are mods good or do they like things from scratch more.

khatharr's point was, if you're strong on one, keep working with that one to build up your skills and make a portfolio.

And again, you make an erroneous assumption (that all employers behave the same, have the same preferences, wear the same color shirts, and like the exact same flavor of beer). All employers are different. Don't worry about some hypothetical employer - you have to be you. You have to develop your unique talents.

You asked "what is the hiring process." The question is rather vague. Can you narrow the question down for us? And please check this forum's FAQs. http://www.gamedev.net/page/reference/faq.php/_/breaking-into-the-industry-r16

And lastly if anyone is recruiting a level designer

We don't permit recruiting or volunteering in these discussion boards, and posts like that get deleted. If you want to jump in on somebody's indie project, check the Classifieds.

And lastly if anyone is recruiting a level designer

We don't permit recruiting or volunteering in these discussion boards, and posts like that get deleted. If you want to jump in on somebody's indie project, check the Classifieds.

I apologize for that i did not realize classified was job related stuff. What i meant was more specifically what is the hiring process for level designer and what do studios look for in a level designer. What skills are important to have, i am very efficient with unity and in the past few days really getting into unreal engine 4 (i love it so far) and starting to learn some 3d modeling. I am proficient at scripting, am i heading in the right direction with my portfolio and skill development?

What i meant was more specifically what is the hiring process for level designer

I already said that "what is the hiring process" is a very open-ended question. You'll get better answers if we have a better understanding of exactly what you're trying to find out. If you have ever been through a hiring process, you already know what the hiring process is like (it's pretty much the same for all jobs, in and out of the game industry). Do you want someone to outline everything all the way from posting a job position to receiving resumes to filtering resumes to holding interviews to follow-up interviews to selection to job offers to first day orientation? That's a big topic!

and what do studios look for in a level designer.

They're looking for someone who clearly has mastery of the tools and the concepts of good level design, and has a strong portfolio, will fit well into the company culture, and will take off running after being hired.

I already said that "what is the hiring process" is a very open-ended question. You'll get better answers if we have a better understanding of exactly what you're trying to find out. If you have ever been through a hiring process, you already know what the hiring process is like (it's pretty much the same for all jobs, in and out of the game industry). Do you want someone to outline everything all the way from posting a job position to receiving resumes to filtering resumes to holding interviews to follow-up interviews to selection to job offers to first day orientation? That's a big topic!

The filtering of resumes and how the interview is conducted as well as follow up interviews. And how is first day orientation.

Better. Now we're getting focused questions.

The filtering of resumes

I wrote an article on that topic. There's a link to it in the FAQs (I gave you a link to the FAQs before). The specific article on resume filtering is at http://sloperama.com/advice/m87.htm

and how the interview is conducted as well as follow up interviews.

You can just do a Google search on how job interviews work. A lot of it is similar across all industries. Maybe somebody more patient than I will tell you about it here.

And how is first day orientation.

Depends on company size. Small companies might not have any orientation at all, but if you join a big company like EA or Activision, Human Resources may want to sit down with you for the first couple hours to tell you all about how the health insurance works, about company policies, and about the benefits package, etc. They hand you a packet of papers and you listen attentively. Then they show you to your desk. Maybe.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement