• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
tanzanite7

VS2015 without internet explorer

This topic is 884 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is it possible to use Visual Studio 2015 without having internet explorer (OS: Win7)?

It seems that registering needs "sign in" and that i suspect demands internet explorer - which i do not have. I can not find anything useful about this issue due to sheer amount of false positives for any search term i can come up with.

Error message for license / 'sing in':

We can't sign you in

Your browser is currently set to block JavaScript. You need to allow JavaScript to use this service.

To learn how to allow JavaScript or to find out whether your browser supports JavaScript, check the online help in your web browser.

My web browser is Firefox and has no Javascript blocking. I suspect that the error message is just a blatant lie in the usage of the term "web browser" as VS is just hardcoded to use some IE component directly. Either way - i can not find anything about it.

Are there any workarounds?

Suppose i get to register it somehow - will it keep working without internet explorer?

Advertisement

Suppose i get to register it somehow - will it keep working without internet explorer?

It does require an occasional re-checkin, so you might have issues.

If you've already gone through the trouble of installing VS2015, why not also install IE? It's not like you have to use it or anything.

removing it from your system is actually dumb

Not nearly as dumb as

There are chunks of the OS and MS products that will assume it is installed

But then we already had that lawsuit...

Not nearly as dumb as

Would you like it if Notepad was 50GB because it statically linked with every possible keyboard, mouse, GPU, and printer driver just in case the user uninstalled one of those critical components from the OS?

Or would it be better if you had to enter punch cards instead because nobody wanted to commit to writing reusable software? Edited by Nypyren

Not nearly as dumb as

Would you like it if Notepad was 50GB because it statically linked with every possible keyboard, mouse, GPU, and printer driver just in case the user uninstalled one of those critical components from the OS?

Or would it be better if you had to enter punch cards instead because nobody wanted to commit to writing reusable software?

Does notepad use IE, or do they both use comctl? There's a pretty massive difference between "don't require this optional component" and "don't let anything require anything".

It does require an occasional re-checkin, so you might have issues.

:/ ... that would be a nuisance (especially if it really is as often as mentioned [1-2 months]). So, register-time temporary fix is a no-go ... whatever i do, it will have to always work.

IE has been gradually built into the OS with only the front end being made uninstallable (to get around the lawsuit while still maximizing interdependency). The constant crap avalanche IE presence caused via updates was why i got rid of it way beck when - now only the OS internal parts get updates.

Checked with Wireshark and the "sign in" makes some https traffic with distinctly MS related payloads/destinations to fly around - so, it seems to be able to use the built in part of IE just fine, but just lacks the rights to run Javascript as the message indicated.

I wonder if installing IE to add some whitelists and then immediately uninstalling IE will perma-fix the situation :/ Can i do that without installing IE? How?

Will try it out when i get the time and say how it goes.

I'm guessing by uninstalling ie's front end you've removed the javascript engine. After all, javascript is a user side facility not a backend facility so if you uninstalling the front end of ie as in windows "N" you wouldn't have it, along with some other components.

My recommendation? Install it. I have it installed here and it's never been touched, if I was to load it up it would still even give the bing homepage etc...

Does notepad use IE, or do they both use comctl?

I don't know how you came up with that from my analogy.

There's a pretty massive difference between "don't require this optional component" and "don't let anything require anything".

My point is that IE is NOT an optional component when talking about Visual Studio, regardless of whether it's optional when talking about Windows.

Just because Visual Studio can be installed on Windows does not mean that it should only depend on the same dependencies that Windows guarantees is available. That way lies madness and extremism. Edited by Nypyren

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!