VS2015 without internet explorer

Started by
14 comments, last by tanzanite7 8 years, 2 months ago

Reporting back.

Installed IE11 and:

* cookies must be allowed.

* whitelisting (trusted sites) did not work (live.com, visualstudio.com, microsoft etc/etc) somewhy. Only thing i found was that at least VS2013 had a bug where the sign in process actually mistakenly checked javascript access against the "internet zone" even though all the sites were in "trusted sites" zone - maybe it has not been fixed with VS2015?

* setting internet zone to high security (basically disabling everything) and specifically allowing javascript (active scripting)

Uninstalled IE (+restart even though it did not ask for it, just to be sure) and its security settings remained intact.

Had no problems registering / signing in after that. Yay!

I'm guessing by uninstalling ie's front end you've removed the javascript engine. After all, javascript is a user side facility not a backend facility ...

The frontend does very little (UI platform etc?) ... AFAIK, anything related to rendering an actual webpage is not considered to be part of it (the whole renderer is a separate embeddable component that is made basically inseparable from rest of the OS).

Comments from more knowledgeable dudes'n'dudettes welcome.

Advertisement

Does notepad use IE, or do they both use comctl?

I don't know how you came up with that from my analogy.

You made a non sequitur and then extended it ad absurdium and now you're behaving as if I were the one who did it.

There's a pretty massive difference between "don't require this optional component" and "don't let anything require anything".

My point is that IE is NOT an optional component when talking about Visual Studio, regardless of whether it's optional when talking about Windows.

There are a lot of things that break if IE is removed (you even get a big warning to that effect when removing it), which is why MS got sued and lost.

Components required for the correct functioning of the system should be included in the OS and referred to by the web browser and other programs, not included in the web browser and referred to by the OS. If a component is required by several common programs but not by the OS then it should be a component; like CRT, DirectX, or any of the other shared packages or libraries that are involved in running programs on Windows.

Just because Visual Studio can be installed on Windows does not mean that it should only depend on the same dependencies that Windows guarantees is available. That way lies madness and extremism.

Um... No...

Because all of the VS deps are either downloaded during installation or are already included in Windows... Provided you include IE, which is included in Windows unless you're European and have to add it yourself just to get your shit to work right.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

You can all argue semantics and what is ideal but that does not matter at all :) I have just checked the requirements for VS and this is in the requirements...

"This version of Visual Studio (MEANING VS2015) works best with Internet Explorer 10 or later. Some features might not work as expected when it, or a later version, is not installed."

By this I read that you might get away with an IE lower than version 10 but you will have issues, remove IE and you have no hope.

I think OP needs to get over their hatred for IE, bite the bullet and just re-install it. It will just make life easier. Better still, dump Win 7 and move to Win 10. No need for IE at all, just edge which is a very different beast.

After several months of use I've had no VS2015 issues with stock IE on Win7 and Win8.1.

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Thing is, "back in the day" is not the same as today.

"Back in the day" you would be justified to be paranoid about a bad browser with more holes than a sieve. Microsoft looked at those problems and fixed them. Unfortunately a lot of people with aversion to Microsoft seem to also hold the opinion that software is never upgraded nor fixed, and so aversions that were correct in 1998 are assumed to still be correct in 2016, even when they're not.

I'd recommend just installing IE, keep it up to date (don't be paranoid if there seem to be a lot of security updates either - security updates are problems identified and fixed) and use a hosts file to block objectionable content.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

I have no need nor intention to "bite the bullet" or whatever. The original problem has been solved as noted in previous post:

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/675576-vs2015-without-internet-explorer/?view=findpost&p=5276280

However, an update to the question i raised that was not answered:

Reinstalling IE nuked some of the settings needed for Classic Explorer to work (allow third party extensions got unchecked) - so, i needed to get access to the so called "internet" options again. Previously the only way i knew to do that was though IE and had to temporarily install IE just for that. This time i had a bit more luck with searching (by the virtue of Classic Shell having a sensible help around that does not wander through unrelated programs like IE) ... so, ...

... that darn thing is accessible through Settings -> Control Panel -> Internet Options. (yep, sue me, but i did not think of looking around in control panel)

That and the settings mentioned in the linked post are all that is needed to make VS happy. No need to have IE around.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement