What engine to use for a RPG game

Started by
12 comments, last by Infinisearch 8 years, 2 months ago

So i'm thinking about making a rpg game that's like Secrets of Grindea. I dont mind about the price of the engine.

Advertisement

Most likely RPG Maker.

Though this could be replicated in pretty much anything, particularly in Game Maker, Torque 2D or most likely in Unity 3D's 2D platform for which you're likely to get a lot of support.

Most likely RPG Maker.

Though this could be replicated in pretty much anything, particularly in Game Maker, Torque 2D or most likely in Unity 3D's 2D platform for which you're likely to get a lot of support.

I see rpg maker a lot but it always seems like it portrays the Jrpg style with the type of hud. Is it fully customizable?

Last time I used RPG Maker was RPGMaker 2003 I believe, and even back then, it was fairly customizable. I've heard great things about Ace and onwards, though, arguably, at that point, a little more technical savvy can get you anywhere with any lower-level engine such as Unity.

Still, given the scope of what it feels like you're setting out to do, it would be worth to, at least, investigate a bit further for yourself.

I wouldn't recommend RPG maker. Literally any game engine would work. Literally anything.

If you want an easy life, I'd suggest looking into Yoyogame's Game Maker.

http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker

I wouldn't recommend RPG maker. Literally any game engine would work. Literally anything.

Why would you not recommend it?

Hello to all my stalkers.

No free movement and the game mentioned in the OP has free movement? Thats why I wouldn't recommend it. The same company also has a product called IG maker http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/products/programs/ig-maker and GG maker. Then of course theres gamemaker, godot, and Gdevelop. The latter two being free.

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

Your problem might just be the artwork.

Do you have access to a good artist, or can you draw? You'll need to produce art at least as good as the artwork in that game, or have a really interesting plot and gameplay etc to hook the player if you wanted to compete with it.

If you just want to make this for fun, it's not so important, but unfortunately players will judge your game on polish, so look into getting good artwork and good sound/music before you declare the game finished.

Good luck!

This is not born out of it's reputation on the internet. It's nothing but bad experiences with the thing man, and it doesn't seem like they fixed any of it.

This is not born out of it's reputation on the internet. It's nothing but bad experiences with the thing man, and it doesn't seem like they fixed any of it.

I've never tried using the engine, but I'm interested in knowing what these things are :)

What kind of bad experiences have you had with it, if you don't mind me asking?

Hello to all my stalkers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement