Sign in to follow this  

What engine to use for a RPG game

This topic is 667 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Most likely RPG Maker.

Though this could be replicated in pretty much anything, particularly in Game Maker, Torque 2D or most likely in Unity 3D's 2D platform for which you're likely to get a lot of support.

I see rpg maker a lot but it always seems like it portrays the Jrpg style with the type of hud. Is it fully customizable? 

Last time I used RPG Maker was RPGMaker 2003 I believe, and even back then, it was fairly customizable. I've heard great things about Ace and onwards, though, arguably, at that point, a little more technical savvy can get you anywhere with any lower-level engine such as Unity.

Still, given the scope of what it feels like you're setting out to do, it would be worth to, at least, investigate a bit further for yourself.

Why would you not recommend it?

No free movement and the game mentioned in the OP has free movement?  Thats why I wouldn't recommend it.  The same company also has a product called IG maker http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/products/programs/ig-maker and GG maker.  Then of course theres gamemaker, godot, and Gdevelop.  The latter two being free.

Your problem might just be the artwork.

Do you have access to a good artist, or can you draw? You'll need to produce art at least as good as the artwork in that game, or have a really interesting plot and gameplay etc to hook the player if you wanted to compete with it.

If you just want to make this for fun, it's not so important, but unfortunately players will judge your game on polish, so look into getting good artwork and good sound/music before you declare the game finished.

Good luck!

I wouldn't recommend RPG maker. Literally any game engine would work. Literally anything.

This is not born out of it's reputation on the internet. It's nothing but bad experiences with the thing man, and it doesn't seem like they fixed any of it.

I wouldn't recommend RPG maker. Literally any game engine would work. Literally anything.

This is not born out of it's reputation on the internet. It's nothing but bad experiences with the thing man, and it doesn't seem like they fixed any of it.

I've never tried using the engine, but I'm interested in knowing what these things are :)

What kind of bad experiences have you had with it, if you don't mind me asking?

No free movement and the game mentioned in the OP has free movement?  Thats why I wouldn't recommend it.  The same company also has a product called IG maker http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/products/programs/ig-maker and GG maker.  Then of course theres gamemaker, godot, and Gdevelop.  The latter two being free.

Are you clear on there being no workaround for free movement?

Originally, my primary reason for leaving the rpg maker scene was precisely this, but this was, as originally state, during the rpg maker 2003 era, and there was no means to avoid it altogether.

I've been told by an acquaintance that it was now possible, though I haven't verified it firsthand.

There are work arounds but in truth making an ARPG with RPGmaker would likely entail reimplementing everything so why go that route?  Also I'm not confident collision detection would be up to snuff for a fast paced action RPG but I'm not sure.  But you're right since they moved to RGSS you can do alot but you wind up implementing/reimplementing things which basically takes away the advantage of using "maker" software.  If you're not implementing/reimplementing things you're hunting down scripts and resolving compatibility between them all.  Again why go that route when its more straight forward to use something else... at least that's how I feel about it.

The upside to RPG Maker is that, once that grunt work is done, everything else can pretty much be handled by a neophyte.

Other engines (Game Maker, Unity, etc.) have gone a long way to streamline game development, but they're not there yet...

This topic is 667 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.