What engine to use for a RPG game

Started by
12 comments, last by Infinisearch 8 years, 1 month ago

Why would you not recommend it?

No free movement and the game mentioned in the OP has free movement? Thats why I wouldn't recommend it. The same company also has a product called IG maker http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/products/programs/ig-maker and GG maker. Then of course theres gamemaker, godot, and Gdevelop. The latter two being free.

Are you clear on there being no workaround for free movement?

Originally, my primary reason for leaving the rpg maker scene was precisely this, but this was, as originally state, during the rpg maker 2003 era, and there was no means to avoid it altogether.

I've been told by an acquaintance that it was now possible, though I haven't verified it firsthand.

Advertisement

There are work arounds but in truth making an ARPG with RPGmaker would likely entail reimplementing everything so why go that route? Also I'm not confident collision detection would be up to snuff for a fast paced action RPG but I'm not sure. But you're right since they moved to RGSS you can do alot but you wind up implementing/reimplementing things which basically takes away the advantage of using "maker" software. If you're not implementing/reimplementing things you're hunting down scripts and resolving compatibility between them all. Again why go that route when its more straight forward to use something else... at least that's how I feel about it.

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

The upside to RPG Maker is that, once that grunt work is done, everything else can pretty much be handled by a neophyte.

Other engines (Game Maker, Unity, etc.) have gone a long way to streamline game development, but they're not there yet...

If you customize everything I don't think the RPGmaker UI adapts so its not helpful for this use case.

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement