• Advertisement

AMD has a nice memory allocator built for Vulkan. You can get a lot of insights about memory management in these new low-level APIs by looking at this code base. I used a similar approach for my memory allocator for DX12 too.

https://github.com/GPUOpen-LibrariesAndSDKs/VulkanMemoryAllocator

They also use this in their "Vulkan Mini-Engine"

https://github.com/GPUOpen-LibrariesAndSDKs/Anvil

Edited by mark_braga

Advertisement

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Similar Content

• By AxeGuywithanAxe
      I wanted to see how others are currently handling descriptor heap updates and management.
      I've read a few articles and there tends to be three major strategies :
      1 ) You split up descriptor heaps per shader stage ( i.e one for vertex shader , pixel , hull, etc)
      2) You have one descriptor heap for an entire pipeline
      3) You split up descriptor heaps for update each update frequency (i.e EResourceSet_PerInstance , EResourceSet_PerPass , EResourceSet_PerMaterial, etc)
      The benefits of the first two approaches is that it makes it easier to port current code, and descriptor / resource descriptor management and updating tends to be easier to manage, but it seems to be not as efficient.
      The benefits of the third approach seems to be that it's the most efficient because you only manage and update objects when they change.
    • By khawk
      CRYENGINE has released their latest version with support for Vulkan, Substance integration, and more. Learn more from their announcement and check out the highlights below.
      Substance Integration
      CRYENGINE uses Substance internally in their workflow and have released a direct integration.

Vulkan API
      A beta version of the Vulkan renderer to accompany the DX12 implementation. Vulkan is a cross-platform 3D graphics and compute API that enables developers to have high-performance real-time 3D graphics applications with balanced CPU/GPU usage. 

Entity Components
      CRYENGINE has addressed a longstanding issue with game code managing entities within the level. The Entity Component System adds a modular and intuitive method to construct games.
      And More
      View the full release details at the CRYENGINE announcement here.

View full story
    • By khawk
      The AMD GPU Open website has posted a brief tutorial providing an overview of objects in the Vulkan API. From the article:
      Read more at http://gpuopen.com/understanding-vulkan-objects/.

View full story
    • By HateWork
      Hello guys,
      My math is failing and can't get my orthographic projection matrix to work in Vulkan 1.0 (my implementation works great in D3D11 and D3D12). Specifically, there's nothing being drawn on the screen when using an ortho matrix but my perspective projection matrix work fantastic!
      I use glm with defines GLM_FORCE_LEFT_HANDED and GLM_FORCE_DEPTH_ZERO_TO_ONE (to handle 0 to 1 depth).
      This is how i define my matrices:
      m_projection_matrix = glm::perspective(glm::radians(fov), aspect_ratio, 0.1f, 100.0f); m_ortho_matrix = glm::ortho(0.0f, (float)width, (float)height, 0.0f, 0.1f, 100.0f); // I also tried 0.0f and 1.0f for depth near and far, the same I set and work for D3D but in Vulkan it doesn't work either. Then I premultiply both matrices with a "fix matrix" to invert the Y axis:
      glm::mat4 matrix_fix = {1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, -1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f}; m_projection_matrix = m_projection_matrix * matrix_fix; m_ortho_matrix = m_ortho_matrix * matrix_fix; This fix matrix works good in tandem with GLM_FORCE_DEPTH_ZERO_TO_ONE.
      Model/World matrix is the identity matrix:
      glm::mat4 m_world_matrix(1.0f); Then finally this is how i set my view matrix:
      // Yes, I use Euler angles (don't bring the gimbal lock topic here, lol). They work great with my cameras in D3D too! m_view_matrix = glm::yawPitchRoll(glm::radians(m_rotation.y), glm::radians(m_rotation.x), glm::radians(m_rotation.z)); m_view_matrix = glm::translate(m_view_matrix, -m_position); That's all guys, in my shaders I correctly multiply all 3 matrices with the position vector and as I said, the perspective matrix works really good but my ortho matrix displays no geometry.
      EDIT: My vertex data is also on the right track, I use the same geometry in D3D and it works great: 256.0f units means 256 points/dots/pixels wide.
      What could I possibly be doing wrong or missing?
      Big thanks guys any help would be greatly appreciated. Keep on coding, cheers.

• By TheSargKyle
      My team and I are developing a game engine! We would like as much help as possible. The project is currently hobby only, but pay will be appropriately rolled out to those who work on the engine. people we are looking for are:
      Network Programmer Artist For User Interface Physics Programmer Graphics Programmer Prerequisites wanted, but not needed, are: 
      Intermediate C++ knowledge 1 Yr in Game development Industry Thank you for your intrest in the project. You can contact me at my email: thesargkyle@gmail.com or my discord: TheSargKyle#8978
  • Advertisement