Game Programmers or Modellers???

Started by
5 comments, last by Pixel_Sticks 22 years, 5 months ago
Which is more needed in the industry and which has the highest salary, in general of course. I am not trying to compare a new to 3d guy with john carmack. I use 3ds max4 and i program in C++ i lovethe thought of modelling and coding but i know to be good, great, i should focus on one. Just looking for thoughts on which would be the better field to focus on coding or modelling? I really dont know who is more respected in the industry between the 2 and which is more needed. thanks
Advertisement
Does anyone have any exerience with this?
What''s more important, your left kidney or right? (unless you only have one of course). Games don''t draw themselves (except the procedural ones), nor do they program themselves. You can''t have one without the other. Neither is respected more. They are completely different disciplines that complement each other perfectly. If you are one of the rare few who can model and program, then there is no reason not to develop both of these skill sets.
And sorry to come over as a Communist or something, but surely you should choose whichever discipline you prefer, not whichever one pays the most. I would agree that you should keep developing both skill sets, trying to mix them together if you can by making 3D software. But to (reluctantly) answer your question, I believe a programmer gets paid more than a modeller of equivalent experience.
Ya i figured the programmer makes more and i am sorry i guess my real question is which is in higher demand in the industry? That will be the biggest factor in which i choose to persue. thanks
In general good game programmers are the most in demand at this time, not that Artists aren''t in demand either, overall there is a serious lack of talent all round - although it''s not that the talent isn''t out there (check a lot of people on this site alone!), but larger companies are less likely to even try unexperianced people (which is very stupid, when you go back to the demand).

Strong game programmers are harder to find because Game programming is much different from business apps, not the actual programming itself (although it varies a great deal), but the development process in general. You need games lovers over rocket scientists when making games. On the flip side a lot of artists are happy to make art for whatever media they are in, so they are generally easier to find because a good artist is a good artist no matter what they are doing.

As for more needed in terms of who has the most importance, you can make great looking games without artists (anyone who visited the darkhex site when it was up would have seen E-Motion, that was entirely made of dynamic models and programming effects and looked better than a lot of PSX games), but I wouldn''t say that either programmers or artists have more importance than each other.

Just pick the one you prefer to do at first, you could always switch later on in life!

Marc Lambert

marc@darkhex.com

Marc. Help Wanted template | Game development isn't easy! | Indie interviews
Bloodlust is back! -Leave your morals and political correctness at the door.

Thanks for the replies...guys. ....hehe, i make a rhyme everytime...im a poet and didnt know it. aghh im getting lame, but thanks for the replys.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement