Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ille2001

Game Programming in C++?

I would like to know, are there any books out there that actually teach how to program games in c++? Also, I want to start programming games in c++ first, since I know it, but where do I start? Please help me!

I got Windows Game Programming For Dummies by Andre LaMothe. It''s a bit outdated now (directx has come a long way since dx6) and it IS all in 2D, but it helped me out. You might be able to get it 2nd hand off Ebay or something.

"I envy you, who has seen it all"
"And I, young sir, envy you, who have yet to see it for the first time..."
- Daniel Glenfield
1st October 2001

Guest Anonymous Poster
Another book you might want to check out is Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus. It is also written by LaMothe and is a lot more recent. It also includes DirectX 7 and the introductory version of C++ 6.0 on the CD. Most of the book is about 2-d stuff but it touches the basics on 3-D

Guest Anonymous Poster
You might want to READ THE FUCKING FORUMS before you post something like this. You might notice that this question is posted EVERY OTHER DAY.

Anon #2, I know how annoying it must be to see all these posts asking for suggestions on C++ books. I have a suggestion. How about you avoid clicking on them, since they annoy you so much?

ille2001, don''t get discouraged by people like him. Most of the regulars here are helpful.

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
You might want to READ THE FUCKING FORUMS before you post something like this. You might notice that this question is posted EVERY OTHER DAY.

What''s up with you? Might want to try not saying anything instead of writing idiotic remaks like the one I quoted.

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
A division of DLC Multimedia

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer

Guest Anonymous Poster
Boy, you got THAT right!
It is definitely more idiotic to tell someone to read the previous posts before asking the same thing again than it is to not bother reading the posting FAQ!
And it is also more idiotic than calling something idiotic when it wasn''t! Rude, yes. Crude, sure. Idiotic? No, I''m pretty sure I had a point there.

Why do you post anonymously then? If it''s your honest opinion and you feel you''re right why don''t you want ppl to know who you are?

------------------------------------------------------------
"To a computer, chaos is just another kind of order."

I''ve bought the Tricks of the windows Game Programming Gurus by LaMothe a couple weeks ago and I think it''s pretty good. It''s nice and fun reading, good explanations, nice pix. I think it''s worth buying. It''s a bit expensive, but with that 1000 pages you can get quite far. Goes into 2D programming, fuzzy logic, AI(are those the same?), basic modelling, some algorithms, optimization. Really good for a beginner(like me ). It starts with the basic windows programming, like creating a window. Then he moves on to some more complex shit like making a dropmenu and resources. After that he tells you some stuff about the GDI. After the GDI he comes back to DirectDraw/sound/music etc. Comes with 2 CD-roms. 1 contain all sources, some demos and 2 3D programming online books. the second contains Visual C++ 6.0 Learning edition. Never tried it because I have Visual Studio 6 Enterprise!!!! :D

Sand Hawk

-Earth is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can.

For an interesting listing of books go to
http://www.sun-a-moon.org

The site hasn''t been updated since a while but
every now and then something new comes up...

Kind regards,
Metron

Books are an interesting topic. There are many of them out there, but a lot of those also don't cover everything you might want so I suggest possibly going to Amazon.com and reading all the user reviews and whatnot.

And now for something completely different:

In my opinion, you should start with a text (ascii) based game so that you don't have all the overhead of the windows environment. This way, you actually learn the material without having to make pretty (or ugly) pictures and sounds and whatever. Also, the only code written is the actual game code instead of window creation, winproc, and all the other windows things you might want to put in there.

The reason I suggest this is because that's the way DigiPen teaches programming and most other schools as well. And since DigiPen students produce some pretty cool stuff I tend to think this is probably the best way to learn.

I'm learning, just like the best of us...

Edited by - Soulkeeper on November 22, 2001 2:18:47 AM

Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus, André LaMothe
Copyright (c) 1999 by Sams
ISBN: 0-672-31361-8
Library of Congres Catalog Card Number: 98-85491

You could also find out the ISBN by searching for title or author at amazon.com or somewhere else (maybe asking at your local book store).

------------------------------------------------------------
"To a computer, chaos is just another kind of order."

Guest Anonymous Poster
um... i dont think that you had a point Anonymous Poster. granted i think that there is a chance that it is asked i dont see what the point of posting that was. But like my motto goes Anonymous Poster, everyone is entitled to his/her WRONG opinion!

THE DX CLAN: MESS WITH THE BEST, GET FRAGGED LIKE THE REST!
Q2 DX CLAN 4 LIFE!

DX_Quake2God

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
um... i dont think that you had a point Anonymous Poster. granted i think that there is a chance that it is asked i dont see what the point of posting that was. But like my motto goes Anonymous Poster, everyone is entitled to his/her WRONG opinion!

There is almost as much of a point to posting it as there was for you to reply. Oh, and my reply to your reply is just about as pointless as that one
But, regardless , the point I was referring to in my last post was (and I''ll put it in italics so you can see it easily): You should read the previous posts before asking a biweekly question . If you think that this opinion is wrong, I would like to refer you to the posting FAQ. Unfortunately (for your poor excuse for an argument) not only is my wrong opinion documented, but it is also the policy of this message board. Duh.
quote:
THE DX CLAN: MESS WITH THE BEST, GET FRAGGED LIKE THE REST!
Q2 DX CLAN 4 LIFE!
DX_Quake2God

Oh, well then... That is definitely an original and witty motto, it is almost as cool as your title of a "Quake II God". With credentials like that, I feel weird even disagreeing with your revered self.

PS - Sorry about that. I hate it when I miss a "/"! DOH!

You should learn C++, and then learn how to program games with it with one of these books:

"OpenGL Game Programming" or "Beginning Direct3D Game Programming"

Now it comes down to Direct X and OpenGL What do you like better? This one:

glDrawElements( GL_TRIANGLES, ..., ..., ...);

Or:

glBegin(GL_TRIANGLE);
glVertex3f(..., ..., ...);
glEnd();

Or:

pDevice->SetVertexShader(...);
pDevice->DrawPrimitiveUP(D3DPT_TRIANGLELIST, ..., ..., ...);

If you like the first or second, buy the book "OpenGL Game Programming," if you like the third, buy "Beginning Direct3D Game Programming."

To learn C++, buy "Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days."

Good Luck.