• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

johnrudy

BSP-only levels

This topic is 6148 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Are there any step-by-step tutorials for getting a BSP-only level going in Landscape Studio? I ask this because I converted a BSP to PBS, and added it to the packages of a newly-created Landscape Studio project, but can''t get the thing to actually appear in the environment. Also, does Landscape Studio slow down anyone else''s machines to the point of near-unusability? I''ve got a pretty decent box -- Athlon 1.2G, 512M RAM, veritable tons of hard drive space, but Landscape Studio seems to slow down my mouse system-wide, and almost never draws it inside its own environment (making selection of buttons quite difficult). Is this just a Win98 thing, which will be rectified when I upgrade to XP Pro in a couple months? Or is this something everyone experiences? Thanks! John

Advertisement

I''ve got a 500 Mhz, 128 Ram with very little open space on the harddrive and windows 98 but there is no apparent slow down at all. I am not sure what the problem is. I guess Chris would have to address it.

I hate to admit this, but I might know what my slowdown is. I just never paid any attention, but I''m always playing WinAMP (with a list of approximately 1400 songs) at the time I''m doing any work on the system. (In fact, it''s playing now, while I work on my bug-tracking system.) Perhaps the combination is too much?

Still, I''m much more worried about getting the danged BSPs in the levels to begin with. My game has little (if any) use for the external engine. The BSP engine is what we need most, and we need to start working with custom maps. The initial framework was built just using the simple level.pbs included with many of the examples, but now we need to build our own -- or at least modify an existing one to start working with entities and such, to make sure our code for that is working correctly.

Thanks!!

I think you can just run the BSP level by itself, unless you need an outdoors, it''s not necessary to use the landscape engine. You can look at the source code for the level viewer, and there is a BSP only example in the "highlevel" examples.

jevsdenny:

It''s not the landscape engine that''s the issue, it''s the landscape studio. Or can I get around that entirely by doing the entities in whatever BSP editor I choose to use? (This would actually take me back to square 1, since I''d need to create my own map instead of jacking someone else''s -- I''m a coder, not an architect! -- but at least I''d know where I stand.)

dr pain:

OK, then, it''s not WinAMP. My choice of video card? (Voodoo 5500?)

Oh yeah -- and for the code, it''s not a problem. I''ve got quite a bit of the functionality done and functional. I just need to start working with entities, which requires me to modify the BSP maps, which requires me to have a way to do it (and a map from which to start), etc., etc., etc.

I guess I missed the question- I thought you were looking for a way to play the BSP, like walk around it and see what it looks like. That''s what the BSP demo is good for. If you want to edit the BSP itself, you must use a level editor. The only one I have familiarity with is Q3Radiant, which takes a bit of getting used to. I also read somewhere that you could use 3D Studio Max to edit levels, but I don''t know how to get a BSP out of it, probably some plug in. Landscape studio does not allow you to edit the BSP, just to place it somewhere in the landscape. If you want a BSP only level, then I don''t think LS is going to help you with much (unless I''m missing something that LS does). Make sure you have a sky box around your level too, otherwise it won''t load correctly.

On some of my machines LS does slow down quite a bit, others it is OK, depends on the hardware I guess.

OK, so let me make sure I have everything straight ...

The q3convert program will convert all the entities, shaders and the skybox from a q3 map, correctly and in a way that functions?

I was under the impression (and I forget where I read this) that the skybox and entities were not imported with that software, that Landscape Studio was needed for that.

I, too, am familiar with Q3Rad (as well as QuArK), but knowing how to do something and being good at it are two very different things. :-)

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!