XBOX

Started by
28 comments, last by SKSlayer 22 years, 4 months ago
Xbox sucks.... I just read an article about it ... it seems they use a celeron (66Mhz FSB) in this "optimal configured PC" ... If the OS is really based on Kernel32 we might be able to create some flashy and shiny blue screens.

"My software as no bugs ! It just creates random new features.."
Advertisement
Anyone knows why the fuck it will cost much more here in Europe?. I think it is somethig like 330$ in USA and ~500 in Europe!

What the hells!
What the hells!
WTF!

Thats maddening!

£500 is $703.881 ( thats as precise as I''m going )

WTF IS UP WITH THAT!

its like almost two and a half times as expensive!

No fecking way am I paying 250% of what you guys pay just cause I live in the UK!

BAH... BLAAAAAAAAH
I hate Micro$ux.. they have so much money and they still insist on milking the public for everything it has.... IDIOTS... thats why their reputation is going down the shnitter and people are moving away from M$ products.

*wanders off severely pished off*

(note...... fecking, pished and schnitter were NOT typos. I just hate those *''s it puts through "certain" words).

~Cobra~
"Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will have warmth for the rest of his life"
Does anyone know how to get a hold of the GameCube SDK, DDK and other needed hardware? I have a customer that might wanta port of their current game, but I cannot find any information on GameCube or other pieces of the development enviroment.(other then MetroWorks has a Dev environment for it).

--DT
The official figure from the UK XBox site (www.xbox.com/uk) is £399.

It''s not very easy to make comparisons of technical specs based on second-hand reviews ("can only achieve 3 polys per minute" but they forget to mention the console was off at the time ), but the data I''ve seen does look very impressive. Certainly to say that it''s better than both the Gamecube and the PS2. (Well, all of them are better than the PS2 )

The OS is "a stripped-down version of Windows 2000." Windows 2000 being in the NT family, and has a reputation for being much more stable than the 95/98/Me family. I don''t know kernel32 but I''m guessing it''s 95/98/Me?

This is going to sound horribly biased, but E3 was probably just bad luck. As evil and faceless as Microsoft may be, they''re not stupid.

If Microsoft intend to lay any substance behind their claim that the XBox is intended to be "developer-friendly," OpenGL support will have to be included at some point, they''d just be excluding too many developers. The key factor in the best-selling console is the games available for it, and by increasing the number of games you''ve got, the better your chances of having the best games on your console. If the XBox doesn''t support OpenGL, then all the developers using it are going to floor to the GameCube...

If the session on a CDR has been closed, then it can be read by anything that can read normal CDs. By normal, I mean conforming to the ISO 3000 (?) standard (Joliet on Mac).

Did anyone here try developing for the Dreamcast? I read an article on setting it up, and it looked like a bitch to achieve. Linux, master/slave disks, CD images... With the Xbox anything that will run on a PC will run on the Xbox.

If you take out device independance (i.e. the ability to run with all kinds of hardware), most of your problems disappear. No more VXDs, for example.

Things concerning OpenGL 2.0 are also beginning to look interesting. Once it''s finished, I''m sure Microsoft will want to provide support for it. Anyway, the XBox has a hard drive, so as long as the OS will support OpenGL, it can be included at a later date.

(I don''t work for Microsoft. )

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates
- sleeps in a ham-mock at www.thebinaryrefinery.cjb.net

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

I don''t approve at all
Look the PlayStation, I cannot read CDR
(you can find me on IRC : #opengl on undernet)
quote:Original post by SKSlayer
I don''t approve at all
Look the PlayStation, I cannot read CDR

I repeat, "By normal, I mean conforming to the ISO 3000 (?) standard." The PlayStation has it''s own CD format.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates
- sleeps in a ham-mock at www.thebinaryrefinery.cjb.net

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

No, Playstation has no different disc format than PC
the only difference is that it''s back under ..
You still can read it with a computer, and you can read audio CD with the console, but it doesn''t let you play CDR games, thus, if you wanna be a PS coder, you got to buy an expensive developpement console
What do you mean I can''t run CDR''s on my PS? Slap on that mod-chip, and I can run all my favorite CDR PS games.
"...."
That''s what I said, you can''t run them

as you need a modchip to run them

Okay, I got more info for the XBOX
ON the DVD
The exe has to be signed by MS
The DVD''s are double layered DVD. The burner to copy such a disc costs 150 000$. Plus, it has material copy protections

The major problem comes from the signed exe I guess

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement