Translate 2D mouse position to place an object in 3D space

Started by
13 comments, last by taby 8 years, 1 month ago

Read: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Tangent.html -- look for the big triangle. Remember SOHCAHTOA.

tan(theta), where theta = pi/8, gives you the rise over run. When the camera is 1 unit away from the origin, the run is 1. The rise goes on to give you half of the image plane width.

Advertisement

Read: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Tangent.html -- look for the big triangle. Remember SOHCAHTOA.

tan(theta), where theta = pi/8, gives you the rise over run. When the camera is 1 unit away from the origin, the run is 1. The rise goes on to give you half of the image plane width.

That helps because I didn't know what the tangent was for.

I've analyzed the code and simplified it. Below is the final modified version. Let's look at it line by line.

First useless line.

const float pi = 4.0f*atanf(1.0f);

All this does is give us the value of PI. math.h has a #define you can use so this is unnecessary. As you'll see in the finial code, many things were unnecessary.

Next line.

const float aspect = (float)(m_renderbufferWidth) / (float)(m_renderbufferHeight);

This give us the aspect ratio of the screen. Not sure why this is needed for the x coordinate and not the y. I think it's magic.

Next Two lines.

const float fx = 2.0f * ((float)(x) / (float)(m_renderbufferWidth - 1)) - 1.0f;
const float fy = 2.0f * ((float)(y) / (float)(m_renderbufferHeight - 1)) - 1.0f;

This converts screen coordinates from a top/left orientation to a center screen coordinates but there's a little more to this then that.

1) Subtracting the width and height by one. The reason you do this is because resolution sizes are usually all even numbers. For example, a resolution of 1280x720 there is no center pixel or a pixel at 0. The other reason this could be is that you need a value of base 0, as if this was an array and w/h represents the total number of elements.

2) x/y divied by w/h. This gives you a normalize value of the point on your screen. In other words, a value from 0 to 1.

3) 2.0f *; not entirely sure what this is doing and why it is needed.

4) The last - 1.0f flips the sign.

Second useless line

const float y_fov = pi/4; // pi/4 radians = 45 degrees

This takes PI and divides it by 4 to give us 45 degrees in radians. This is unnecessary.

Modified line.

const float tangent = tan(y_fov / 2.0f);

This divides the 45 degrees by 2 to give use 22.5 degrees in radians. This can be simplified by plopping a number in tan.

I know what the rest is doing, I just don't understand why it works.

/************************************************************************
*    desc:  Convert 2d screen coordinates to 3D perspective space
************************************************************************/
void Convert2Dto3D( float & destX, float & destY, float x, float y, float width, float height )
{
    const float aspect = width / height;

// Convert upper left 0,0 to center screen 0,0 coordinates
    const float fx = (2.0f * (x / (width - 1))) - 1.0f;
    const float fy = (2.0f * (y / (height - 1))) - 1.0f;

// (pi/4 radians = 45 degrees / 2) or ((pi/4) / 2))
    const float tangent = tan( 0.392699082 );

// Project x,y to a z plane of 1
    destX = aspect * tangent* fx;
    destY = -tangent * fy;

}   // Convert2Dto3D

fx calculates first x/(width - 1), which gives a value from 0 to 1. Then multiplies it by 2.0, which gives a value from 0 to 2. Then it subtracts 1, which gives you a value from -1 to 1. fy works similarly. Print out the values of fx and fy and click on the corners of your window to get my meaning.

You might not want to optimize the y_fov and pi out of the equation. You'd only optimize a little bit without them, and this function doesn't really need to be optimized as such -- the function is only called once per second or so, depending on your mouse skills. Heck, the compiler might even optimize for you. On top of that, I find y_fov / 2 to be more explanatory than some magic number like 0.39269908, even if it's explained in the comments.

The aspect is used only for x because y is special. We deal in y's field of view y_fov, not x_fov, which is another reason to not optimize y_fov out of the equation.

// (pi/4 radians = 45 degrees / 2) or ((pi/4) / 2))
const float tangent = tan( 0.392699082 );

I hate stuff like this. If you mis-typed that number, who is ever going to check whether it is correct? Someone is eventually going to have to figure it out after getting a vague bug about the mouse controls being slightly off. Or it will never be fixed, and your game would just feel wrong. You can easily write code that would probably get worked out at compile time using M_PI, or that at worst case would happen once when the compilation unit is initialized by using a static variable outside of the function.

In general, I wouldn't hard-code in any constants, even for something that requires a little time to compute, with also making sure there was a fool-proof means of validating them. I've worked on a few games that did massive amounts of initialization when certain compilation units were loaded, and it's just something to live with when there are hundreds of more noticeable things to be optimized. I don't mind a little more initialization to help avoid an easy-to-miss mistake.

And if you're going to hard-code a number there, why leave in the tan() function?

... plus if you're wanting to do fancy camera tricks, you might want to make y_fov a variable...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement