Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old DX books still worthwhile?

This topic is 5871 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m interested in learning DirectX (with which I have little (no) experience already) and I came across a DX 6 book. My question is, "is it worth it to go through this book and learn DX 6 even though it''s outdated by a couple of years?" That is, will knowledge that I gain from this book be applicable to DX 8.1 in a way that is more useful than redundant? Thanks for any feedback - - Riley

IMO, no. Books like that are focused on teaching you the SDK and given how much it has changed it''s not really worth it. If the book was teaching you principles of game development or computer graphics, then I''d say definately! I still have a 1982 reference book in my desk drawer, and Foley et al (Computer graphics: Principles and Practice) is still the definitive graphics text.

well tricks of the windows game programming gurus by andre lamothe was written with dx6 but i still use it because a lot of it is still useful. All the win32 code hasn''t changed much. the ai and everything "non-programming" hasn''t changed so i''d say yes you should still buy it. Also, with directx, you can use prevoius versions of it with newer versions of directx.

quote:
Original post by kmsixpence
well tricks of the windows game programming gurus by andre lamothe was written with dx6 but i still use it because a lot of it is still useful. All the win32 code hasn''t changed much. the ai and everything "non-programming" hasn''t changed so i''d say yes you should still buy it.

Which proves my point. Everything non-DirectX and non-programming indicates that the text (which actually uses DirectX 4 in many places) teaches you principles and thus is worth obtaining for that reason (unless you''ve read Teach Yourself Game Programming in 21 Days - then it''s useless and you''ll give it away like I did).

quote:
Also, with directx, you can use prevoius versions of it with newer versions of directx.

It''s binary backwards compatible - for now. Who knows when it''ll break? Why risk it, devoting so much energy and resources into learning an outdated version of an ever-changing API?

To my mind all you really need is the docs. Sure, they "suck" - if you don''t know how to read them...