Smooth (as in blur) faces in modeling software

Started by
3 comments, last by mireazma 8 years, 1 month ago
I use Silo and Wings. Imagine blurring in 2D art. Now how do you it with 3D elements like verts, edges, faces? For example you have some adjacent faces each pointing in slightly random directions. I want to rotate the selection of faces so that their normals start to point more like in a flowing way rather than vary more randomly. Like each face normal tends to get close to the average of the neighbor faces normals but not all the way to the very average. Note that I don't want to mess with the normals themselves. I want to transform the verts/edges/faces themselves so that the lighting is smooth and the normals obey the verts transformation. Case: I have a model and upon smoothing, there are some "hardness" left at some edges.
Advertisement
I can't see my own uploaded picture or any avatars for that matter. I don't know if you guys are seeing the picture but I can't fully edit my original post to upload another pic, hence this second attempt-post.

Feels like you might want to bevel sharp edges.

I've no idea about Silo and Wings, so here's quick pics made with Blender:

[attachment=30752:sm0.jpg]

[attachment=30753:sm1.jpg]

I'm pretty sure edge bevelling is there in any other editor.

Also you might achieve good results with subdivision surface (catmull-clark, etc), but it will spawn more triangles than selective bevelling, and probably will expose some requirements to topology.

Did you consult the documentation? Because when I did it just now, and I never used Silo before, I found this:
http://nevercenter.com/silo3d/wiki/index.php?title=Smooth

(I don't mean to sound like an ass with the above, it's just that you could've found your own answers faster and continue working.)
Thank you both. Edge bevel won't do what I'm after. Kryzon, I had my mind set on smoothing the normals and it didn't occur to me the obvious fact that smoothing verts would in result accomplish exactly what I want. You are right, it was there in the docs all along and it's even possible that I have used "smooth" before but didn't click I could use it for this purpose. Mea culpa!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement