• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
destouch

Game Engine Architecture: what's after that?

This topic is 875 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've been coding for a while in different languages and I've decided (after reading many topics here) to start programming video games (and to register on this forum!).

I bought "Programming 2D Games", but after a few chapters I don't like it anymore and I'd like to start doing something different, with a book that explains (imho) things more and better.

I looked for a book on Amazon and found Game Engine Architecture. As I don't want to buy it and give it the same fate, 

has anybody read it? What does it help you build? Does it use DirectX, OpenGL, others? Thoughts?

Advertisement

What does it help you build?
By itself nothing really. Its an overview on how game engines are architectured, what kind of subsystems they have, how they communicate, with advice on how to go about designing them and coding them. That is why its "Game Engine Architecture". 

And its big, its big because game engines are fucking big. So I'd advice you to read it anyway, so you know what you're getting into.

What does it help you build?
By itself nothing really. Its an overview on how game engines are architectured, what kind of subsystems they have, how they communicate, with advice on how to go about designing them and coding them. That is why its "Game Engine Architecture". 

And its big, its big because game engines are fucking big. So I'd advice you to read it anyway, so you know what you're getting into.

Alright, then how about Game Coding Complete first?

By the way: I said Game Engine Architecture because I wanted to use OpenGL; but as far as I know, no OpenGL books are focused on gamedev, so I may just go with DirectX

Edited by destouch

My advice is NOT to focus on one specific book. My advice is to first write an outline of what you want out of your game, then focus on what you need to do to make each part work - put something on screen, make a sound, process input - and then just start coding.

There is no better experience than to learn by doing, and failing, and adjusting, and redoing. Seriously, NO BETTER EXPERIENCE. Start looking at different sources of information only when you come across a specific problem you want to solve. Then, when you starting reading, read MANY different peoples' solutions.

Best thing I've ever read in the programming book. There is no such thing as a right answer, just many different less wrong answers to choose from.

My share; building both an engine and a game in a few months can be challenging (depending on how many other things you have to do in those months).

Try to make things small, define the features you want your engine to be able to do, with your game in mind.

My advice is NOT to focus on one specific book. My advice is to first write an outline of what you want out of your game, then focus on what you need to do to make each part work - put something on screen, make a sound, process input - and then just start coding.

My share; building both an engine and a game in a few months can be challenging (depending on how many other things you have to do in those months).

Not the same advice, but both saying that doing too much costs too much effort and time.

There is no better experience than to learn by doing

Without reading the first parts of the book I mentioned, I wouldn't know how to structure the engine actually (just a little bit though), so a bit of reading somewhere just to structure the parts up! 

If I start reading, say, OpenGL tutorials, then I'll have to put codes and parts of the tutorials together in a way or the other

Try to make things small, define the features you want your engine to be able to do, with your game in mind.

I'll definitely keep it in mind. I won't manage to do an awesome game alone or anything near that. I'll also work on other stuff, so it won't have to take away too much time

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!