Game Engine Architecture: what's after that?

Started by
23 comments, last by baseball435 8 years, 1 month ago

I've been coding for a while in different languages and I've decided (after reading many topics here) to start programming video games (and to register on this forum!).

I bought "Programming 2D Games", but after a few chapters I don't like it anymore and I'd like to start doing something different, with a book that explains (imho) things more and better.

I looked for a book on Amazon and found Game Engine Architecture. As I don't want to buy it and give it the same fate,

has anybody read it? What does it help you build? Does it use DirectX, OpenGL, others? Thoughts?

Advertisement

Forgot to mention: my goal would be to make a game, if possible with a game engine (made on my own), in a few months

What does it help you build?
By itself nothing really. Its an overview on how game engines are architectured, what kind of subsystems they have, how they communicate, with advice on how to go about designing them and coding them. That is why its "Game Engine Architecture".

And its big, its big because game engines are fucking big. So I'd advice you to read it anyway, so you know what you're getting into.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

What does it help you build?
By itself nothing really. Its an overview on how game engines are architectured, what kind of subsystems they have, how they communicate, with advice on how to go about designing them and coding them. That is why its "Game Engine Architecture".

And its big, its big because game engines are fucking big. So I'd advice you to read it anyway, so you know what you're getting into.

Alright, then how about Game Coding Complete first?

By the way: I said Game Engine Architecture because I wanted to use OpenGL; but as far as I know, no OpenGL books are focused on gamedev, so I may just go with DirectX

Actually nevermind: Game Coding Complete's source codes don't compile under Win10 / VS2015...

My advice is NOT to focus on one specific book. My advice is to first write an outline of what you want out of your game, then focus on what you need to do to make each part work - put something on screen, make a sound, process input - and then just start coding.

There is no better experience than to learn by doing, and failing, and adjusting, and redoing. Seriously, NO BETTER EXPERIENCE. Start looking at different sources of information only when you come across a specific problem you want to solve. Then, when you starting reading, read MANY different peoples' solutions.

Best thing I've ever read in the programming book. There is no such thing as a right answer, just many different less wrong answers to choose from.
My share; building both an engine and a game in a few months can be challenging (depending on how many other things you have to do in those months).

Try to make things small, define the features you want your engine to be able to do, with your game in mind.

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

My advice is NOT to focus on one specific book. My advice is to first write an outline of what you want out of your game, then focus on what you need to do to make each part work - put something on screen, make a sound, process input - and then just start coding.

My share; building both an engine and a game in a few months can be challenging (depending on how many other things you have to do in those months).

Not the same advice, but both saying that doing too much costs too much effort and time.

There is no better experience than to learn by doing

Without reading the first parts of the book I mentioned, I wouldn't know how to structure the engine actually (just a little bit though), so a bit of reading somewhere just to structure the parts up!

If I start reading, say, OpenGL tutorials, then I'll have to put codes and parts of the tutorials together in a way or the other

Try to make things small, define the features you want your engine to be able to do, with your game in mind.

I'll definitely keep it in mind. I won't manage to do an awesome game alone or anything near that. I'll also work on other stuff, so it won't have to take away too much time

I looked for a book on Amazon and found Game Engine Architecture. As I don't want to buy it and give it the same fate,
has anybody read it? What does it help you build?

It's not a tutorial, but more of a textbook. It doesn't guide you to build anything. It educates you on the general concepts of game engines and associated tools and topics.

And I consider it _mandatory reading_ for anyone interested in game engines. Acquiring the same base level of knowledge as that book provides on your own will take years of practice and acquiring answers to thousands of questions that you don't even know to ask.

Following that, don't start by trying to write an engine. Start by using a premade engine. You need to gain hands-on experience with what an engine actually does before you're going to be even remotely qualified to write your own. If you have never even used an asset pipeline before, or don't even know what one is, how are you going to make a functional one of your owm?

Go spend some time with tutorials for Unity, Unreal, Game Maker, or all of the above for a while. Learn how they work and figure out what you like or dislike about each of them. Learn what kinds of facilities they offer and why.

Then come back to whether you even still want to write an engine of your own. I mean, in this day and age of free commoditized AAA game engines, writing your own engine is utterly pointless for anything other than funsies, but that's your call. smile.png

Look, games are really hard. There's no single book that's going to take you from nothing to making anything especially interesting _and_ teach you how to make a from-scratch game engine at the same time. It's not possible. You're going to need a small library of books, a lot of time on your hands, and a willingness to ask a lot of questions.

Preferably you'd also immerse yourself in a group with similar interests and available mentoring, e.g. enter a game-focused university degree program (many well-known and highly-regarded schools have one these days) or a join a local game development club.

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

Actually nevermind: Game Coding Complete's source codes don't compile under Win10 / VS2015...

I got it to work on VS2015 last year.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement