Limited Objectives in a RTS

Started by
4 comments, last by ewiar 22 years, 4 months ago
Most RTS''s I''ve played are basically real time peon pumping games where the only succesful tactic is the tank rush where two opponents throw their entire forces at one another. What are some ideas that would force players to create smaller "raiding parties" for lack of a better word, to acheive limited objectives? Having limited objectives would encourage the development of unique tactics and a different balance of forces. Here''s what I''ve come up with: 1. It would probably have to be multiplayer- If you really need some resources that are under Player One''s control but you don''t want full war with Player One you might fight for limited objectives (i.e Sino-Russian border conflict in 60''s) Obviously if it was a two player game you''d be in a full war with Player One regardless 2. Supply lines or other tangible form of logistics (not resource management)- Drop a small unit of paratroopers behind enemy lines to blow up a crucial ammunition depot. 3. Some form of command and control- Decapitate a division by staging a helicopter raid on a CP just prior to a full attack. What are some other ideas?
Advertisement
I`m not sure its strictly related to what you`re trying to do, but one thing that forces me to use tank rush tactics in RTS games is difficult unit control. Usually you can do nothing more than create big groups of units and tell them where to go. That means the only sensible tactic is the tank rush.

I think it would be good to allow formations so your troops don`t swarm around each other and slower units don`t get left behind. I would also like to see waypoint controls for your units so you can coordinate things like pincer manouvers without scrolling from one end of the map to the other repeatedly.
or how about being able to set up strategies before the attack,
similar to how the plays are planned for, say, football?
you could get a map of the area where the conflict is going to occur (assuming you have good enough recon), and tell each unit (or more likely, group of units) where to go, when to move arund, etc.
it could be as simple as sending different groups in from different directions, but you could also work in some sort of scripting thing, so you could tell groups 7, 8, & 9 to get ready to hit the flanks and back, but not until groups 1 through 6 are engaged in the front lines. group 10 would stand by, and bum rush any enemy reinforcements.
a lot of work, but if you got it going that would definitely increase the strategy and gameplay a LOT.

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
These are both good ideas but the point of my post was ways to encourage people to fight for limited objectives. I believe that fighting for limited and varied objectives is the best way to encourage people to develop unique tactics and different balances of forces on their own. What are other ways beside logistics, command-and-control and multiplayer encourage fighting for limited objectives.
I think removing base building all together would work toward''s it. Instead of being able to crank out troops at will, you get reinforcements by holding areas of the map. Cities, villages, and the like. Since you can no longer build, build, build, and build, you''d have to fight smart in order to hold or capture anything. You''d have to balance your offense and defense.

The planning attacks was something mentioned in a previous thread. Sort of a BattleScript where you''d issue orders via a bunch of checkboxes and such. Or you could modify the mission planning from Rainbow 6 to do it. I''m seeing this. I''m gonna'' go exhaust my hand now while figuring that out.

I wanna'' ride on the pope mobile.
I programmed with some success, a Starcraft map, where each player started with 200 minerals and 1000 gas and a full tech tree, and had to build up their forces until a timer fell to zero (I think it was five minutes) and then all buildings would explode and all the units would be transported to a central island, where there were five beacons to fight over. Whichever side controlled the most beacons after twenty minutes won.

As a system it worked quite well, the armies were small, and players really spent time deciding on the untis they would use.

George D. Filiotis
Are you in support of the ban of Dihydrogen Monoxide? You should be!
Geordi
George D. Filiotis

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement