Examples of Turn Based Tactical Games

Started by
19 comments, last by its_dxman 8 years, 1 month ago

Hi All,

Just floating around a concept in my head and am wondering if there are any examples of Turn-based Tactical games, more like Wasteland 2 than XCOM, but with a focus on melee and in a fantasy/medieval setting?

I cant for the life of me think of any...

Thanks!

Advertisement
Seems like a pretty straightforward Google query to me...

Yeah I tried that, nothing but Scifi/Modern!

Did you try adding "fantasy" to your Google query?

Certainly did. Mordheim is the closest example I found which is not a JRPG.

Ill keep searching of course, hoping someone might have some examples. It often surprises me what google doesn't find

I haven't played Wasteland but aside from the XCOM series and its fantasy clone Massive Chalice, the Disgaea series is my favorite recent turn-based tactical series. The MMO Dofus and it's sister game Wakfu also have turn-based tactical combat, though it's a little different since you are mainly controlling one unit instead of an army. Pox Nora is a hybrid TCG/tactical game where each unit card in your deck corresponds to placing a unit onto the tactical battlefield, it's pretty cool.

Good older tactical games include Azure Dreams and Eternal Eyes for PS1.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Thanks, ill take a look at those.

Shining Force (VBA version has some improvements on the Genesis original), perhaps, or maybe Banner Saga?

Eric Richards

SlimDX tutorials - http://www.richardssoftware.net/

Twitter - @EricRichards22

Banner Saga! Cant believe I didn't think of that, fantastic game :)

Gladius. Not medieval as such, but certainly not modern or sci-fi.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement