Eye tracking for cursor in rpg

Started by
41 comments, last by alh420 8 years, 1 month ago
Thank you olof for your understanding I do appreciate it.
Advertisement
Geto I am not trying to reinvent the wheel here. Im just using an already existing and proven technology to a practical use. Do your research and widen your perspective.
Eye tracking is "very important component"in vr to bring out its full potential. Next gen games is just all about fancy graphics and physics engine but with an efficient and user-friendly interface making very complex operation simple and adaptive. Without this type of interface enemy ai cannot go to a high pitch level. Eyetracking is a key component to break this barrier. "Semi-auto piloting" needs reference points to pre program your commands on the go. It can be execute effi ientlu trough eyetracking. Hehehe

Geto I am not trying to reinvent the wheel here. Im just using an already existing and proven technology to a practical use. Do your research and widen your perspective.

Oh don't worry my perspective is wide enough... I do know the technology is there and proven. Question is if the application you have in mind for it actually brings any added value to the common user.

You are reinventing the wheel not because "there already is eye tracking software and hardware today"... you are reinventing the wheel because you try to solve a problem that most probably does not exist (I don't see many gamers complain about their mices being not fast or precise enough). Mice are fine for traditional games. Then we have Joysticks and Gamepads for where Mice do not cut it.

On mobile devices, there MIGHT be more value to it (as touchscreens generally suck, and not many devices have digitizers sadly)... but even then, I do see some troubles with general acceptance.

Controlling a cursor with your eyes is not that intuitive, compared to just touching it with your fingers. And the only real added value is that you are not blocking 20% of your screen with your digits to interact with the game.

Eye tracking is "very important component"in vr to bring out its full potential. Next gen games is just all about fancy graphics and physics engine but with an efficient and user-friendly interface making very complex operation simple and adaptive. Without this type of interface enemy ai cannot go to a high pitch level. Eyetracking is a key component to break this barrier. "Semi-auto piloting" needs reference points to pre program your commands on the go. It can be execute effi ientlu trough eyetracking. Hehehe

Agreed on that. Eye tracking is needed to unleash the full potential of VR, full stop.

But not to control a cursor, but to make the VR Goggles more immersive by adjusting the lenses so you can look around without having to move your head.

MAYBE to give ingame AI more of a hint at where the player looks at the moment ("You looking at me, kid!?!" smile.png ), or other funny game logic stunts like that.

All ingame actions should still model realworld interactions as closely as possible. You do no pick up a bucket with your eyes in the real world. You do not aim your gun with your eyes in the real world. You do not select a unit with your eyes in the real world (you use a combination of shouting and cursing instead).

Outside of complementing VR applications, I see little value in eye tracking besides some novelty applications.

I am not sure I understand what "Without this type of interface enemy ai cannot go to a high pitch level" means, but if you mean cranking up game speed and AI difficulty because your player has now a faster reaction time, I am not sure you aren't trying to simplifying this too much.

1. It has to be proven first that your proposed way of interaction with the game really works, and works better/faster than normal interaction methods.

2. Improving Interaction speed so players can keep up with insanse game speeds is putting the cart before the horse. It is MUCH easier to tone down difficulty and speed while leaving the player with THE ILLUSION of difficulty and speed, than asking him to play at inhuman speed levels. You can still leave the inhuman speed in as hard difficulty level (SOME people will enjoy the challenge I am sure)

"Next gen games is just all about fancy graphics and physics engine" - yes, that is what some big AAA shops always believe. And in every generation, the stupid shooter or slasher that comes out of that sells well enough in the beginning of the generation... until people grow tired of it.

A good game never is just about fancy graphics and a physics engine. Good graphics and good physics (not saying "realistic" here, because realistic often spoils the mood, especially when it comes to physics) can enhance an already good game, but they cannot turn a stinker into a good game.

VR will be all about immersion. Graphics and physics will enhance that, true. Generally though, the more "realistic" a game becomes, the slower the interaction gets. A real human has inertia and cannot do a 180° turn in 0.00001 seconds. Aiming takes time. You cannot command 100 units at the same time, not when you are asked to micromanage all these units.

I predict VR games will become rather slower than faster, giving players both time and space to enjoy the immersion, and making things more realistic.

As I said before, create your prototype, and prove me wrong. I am sure you can find ways to make good use of eye tracking, especially on mobile.

Geto I understand you well being skeptical about new input. Consumers as possible dont want so many hassle. Most of them want a plug n play ready to go system. The weaknes about tobii currently, is there are some tweaking todo like calibrating.although their product work well. I believe in the future tobii
product will be a big hit. I also root for them to succeed. There product will give way to reconsider disable persons in design ing a game.

Geto I understand you well being skeptical about new input. Consumers as possible dont want so many hassle. Most of them want a plug n play ready to go system. The weaknes about tobii currently, is there are some tweaking todo like calibrating.although their product work well. I believe in the future tobii
product will be a big hit. I also root for them to succeed. There product will give way to reconsider disable persons in design ing a game.

Well, I certainly wish everyone well that tries to be successfull with new inputs.

And when we are talking about disabled persons, yes, then eye tracking might actually be the ONLY real input alternative to a mouse until the brain-computer interfaces make a huge step forward.

Though you can already map eye tracking input to emulate a mouse I guess, so I don't see a need to design the whole game around that new alternative to the mouse. If somebody wants (or has) to play with eye tracking instead of a mouse, he can do so today.

Instead of trying to design your game around a currently quite niche input, I would rather concentrate on making the mapping to different "virtual inputs" as hasslefree as possible so that the eye tracking hardware can be used instead of the mouse, or touchscreen with the minimum fuss.

Well, when I read the text blurps on the tobii site, it seems to be all about the novelty features I thought it would be. Control your ingame head movement, control the mouse cursor for some actions, and so on.

It MIGHT be a cool feature to get a "temporary second mouse cursor" this way, while your original cursor hasn't moved (so you can place a grenade by looking at a place while you keep leading another target with your gun and shredding it with automatic fire).

But we will see if it will pick up or die out.

Geto you dont realy get it. I do understand your concern about level hardness. I already put it in acount. The more intelligent an ai the harder it is to defeat, also considering its "iregular movement" such as evasive maneuver and attack coordination. thats why game developers are being restrained reconsidering gamers may not cope with the ai.my solution for this giving an auto function beating an ai with ai but with parametric input (for control) such as for ex. Target reference. aiding them to execute complex maneuver with just simple input to beat a seemingly impossible to defeat ai.my goal here is to create a realistic spectacular battle scene and create a vast variety of moves trough parameters and "buttoncombination" you need high grade ai to pull this one off.

Geto thats why I ask you what kind of game you prefer we will not have a common ground here. coz my specialty is hybrid rpg.
I am not into "traditional" fps game. pls. Consider also what kind of game genre im up to. Because vr to me i prefer is just for for visual immersion and an alternative for multi screen(coz you can create more virtual screen there). We have different kind of preferences base on our game genre.
Sorry to say your perspective is not wide enough. Don't assume that vr is only confined in what kind of game you prefer. Pls consider different genre also in vr.

Ex. Mortal combat and kingdom come gameplay has a very cinematic fighting mechanics. One character has so many complex moves. You execute through button combination. Now imagine your not just controlling one character at same time but multiple characters with so "many complex/dynamics move" considering also multiple enemys in acount.how can you handle your move and coordinate your tactics and attack at same time. Ai otherwise will had no problem with. Thats how hybrid game genre are so complicated to handle. You need more controls as possible.
Parametric auto piloting.

I am also an aikido artist I realy do undertand the "dynamics of fighting". In a battle scene there are so many elements to consider,stance position etc. Human body alone has so many objects also you add in the situation. In an actual fight your not just executing your techniques you also pre plan/plotting your next move "real time". Then the location opponent. Thats were the eyes come very handy in that situation for extracting refferences.
Its so very broad and hard to explain. I guess i cannot blame you for not believing,it just too hard for you to comprehend. Only experienced gamers who encounter unique/different game mechanic can understand.

Next Gen games mostly are a combination of game gen and a combination of control types and sensors.
It MIGHT be a cool feature to get a "temporary second mouse cursor" this way, while your original cursor hasn't moved (so you can place a grenade by looking at a place while you keep leading another target with your gun and shredding it with automatic fire).

Geto your already figure it out yourself a secondary cursor.
Like I said eyetracking will not stand on its own.
And ofcourse itS VERY COOL. You can weild 2 weapons with 2 independent cursor. Wielding 2 handgun like Devil may cry and Equilibrium. But have better solution than, you can use 3 independent cursor and can perform button press combination.
There also many interesting result if eyetracking is being combined with other technologies.bringing birth to a new gen of UI.
. you are reinventing the wheel because you try to solve a problem that most probably does not exist (I don't see many gamers complain about their mices being not fast or precise enough). Mice are fine for traditional games. Then we have Joysticks and Gamepads for where Mice do not cut it.

Geto the problem is how to create "NEXT GEN GAME" where not talking here about traditional. Ofcourse there will be no problem if your already satisfied about traditional games. But if you want to go ones step forward a new challenge arise. A new problem arise. pushing new bounderies and posibilities. That is where your creativity will be tested and push to its limits.
Problem arise mostly
if you want to mix different features from diverse game genre. And new problem arise also in design an ai.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement