Practice

Started by
2 comments, last by Alberth 8 years, 2 months ago

Greetings everyone!

I'm reading a book about android game development, and I have understood everything so far. In the end of the chapter I have read, I have got the task to create my own small game for practice. There is just one problem. I don't know how to put it all together, I'm completely lost. I don't know where to start/how to begin and continue.

Do any of you have a few tips?

Thanks for taking your time reading this.

Advertisement

I'm reading a book about android game development ... in the end chapter ... I don't know where to start

Do any of you have a few tips?

Programming books are not about reading. They are an educational guide. You are expected to follow along in your own private little laboratory, you are expected to try variations and do your own little experiments along the way. When an example shows you one thing, you are expected to try several of your own variants to better understand it.

Read the book again. But in addition to reading, implement the pieces yourself on your system, working step-by-step, experimenting with each example and exercise in every chapter along the way.

I've only read a few, but the game programming books I've read didn't seem to do a good job of teaching how everything fits together.

They taught function-level and (barely) class-level code design, and then say "Now you know how to do project-level code design!".

Actually, most that I read didn't even teach function- or class-level design. They taught the various features/syntax and libraries of the programming language or API they were focusing on, with no guidance on what makes good function architecture vs bad function architecture, let alone how to structure subsystems and overall projects.

This is something I've been having to pick up here and there over multiple years, and I'm still not great at it. mellow.png

And I wouldn't expect them to try and teach everything. But sometimes the way they were written implied that what they taught me was enough to make games, making me feel like I missed something they never actually taught.

As a general idea, when you are lost, the problem you're solving is too big.

Can you cut it down to something smaller?

If that fails, something even smaller?

Once you get something running, you can extend it again. (There are limits to extending, but there are no hard fixed rules for that.)

Of course, you can also start by peeking how others did it. Don't copy/paste it all, just look at it, then try to code it yourself from scratch. Smaller is better here too. Keeping something working is easier than making it work. (In he former case, you can just revert to the previous situation, and try again.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement