• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Sleicreider

Free Profiling Tool for Windows/OS-X

This topic is 1020 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey,

Recently I've tried to use the Valgrind profiling tool (Linux,OS-X) to detect cache misses, but this tool is far to slow for games..

I've tried to get the XCode Profiler working on OS-X but somehow it doesn't display anything.

Haven't found a Windows Profiler yet.

Do you guys know any better free profiling tools for Windows(VS2015) ,OS-X(XCode) to detect cache misses?

Or do you know any thechniques to profile them?

Advertisement

Zoom is quite good profiler and it's free. For graphics you can use CodeXL from AMD ( works on other video cards though ) and nVIdia nSight ( or if you want to use it for linux - Linux Graphics Debugger ). I'm bit surprised about Xcode though, because it always worked for me just fine smile.png For Windows you may give a go to Brofiler ( http://brofiler.com/ ). I haven't had a chance myself to test it yet but looks promising. If you want to profile cache misses, know that Valgrind runs your application in the sandbox and it only simulates your CPU cache, which for sure gives useful results, but it's not accurate. I found really useful Intel VTune, but unfortunately, it's not free, moreover - it's quite expensive ( but has 1 month trial, so you may decide to use it during critical optimisation time :) ).

Edited by j_uk_dev

I'm bit surprised about Xcode though, because it always worked for me just fine  

Have you tried to get information about cache misses, with the XCode profiler?

Have you tried to get information about cache misses, with the XCode profiler?

I admit I didn't try to profile cache misses with Xcode :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!