What API should I use...

Started by
22 comments, last by SDB 22 years, 5 months ago
I am sure one of the distributions will work for your system. I tried Red Hat first but couldnt get my Nvidia Geforce2 MX card to work with it. Probably due more to my inexperience with Linux. But I tried the Mandrake 8.1 and it found and configured all of my hardware including a cable connection. I havent tried slackware and from what I have read it is mostly manual configuration, correct me if I am wrong. There were a few more distributions out there but everything I read said either Red Hat or Mandrake would be the easiest switch from M$. So far I am without complaint. My system has been running continuosly for over 3 weeks now without a crash, reboot or any other typical problem I had with win 3.0, win 3.1, win 95, win 98, win 98se or win ME. Good luck and I hope you find one you like.

SDB - Whatever you do, dont press the red button!
Advertisement
I actually just made the switch to Linux as well. I also was tired of windows. I am currently running Red Hat 7.2 Enigma and I am very very pleased with it.

I have an Geforce2 32 meg DDR card and a X-Gamer Live, both run beautifully. Although I haven''t got any new drivers for any of the fancier things you can do with the card, the default drivers worked perfect right outta the box. Also the Red Hat installation in ver7.2 is great, they have come a long way with it

I am just getting started programming with OpenGL/SDL as well also. Not had much time to get started on it atm. But I hope to soon, Also want to restart an old Level Editor project I was working on, building it with GTK+ this time.

Nice to see more people making the switch. Actually Glib is a pretty cool little library as well, GTK+ is built using it. Linus is a wonderful OS that provides much greater stability/security and I have no idea why I didn''t switch earlier. The open source was a big draw for me as well.

Hope you guys that are thinking bout switching do, and I hope it goes as well as it did for me.

Good Luck
quote:Original post by SDB

I havent tried slackware and from what I have read it is mostly manual configuration, correct me if I am wrong.

Well, it is a lot more manual than other distro''s . I still like Slackware . Although it isn''t hard, I wouldn''t suggest it to a Unix newbie. You do have to know what you''re doing a lot more than with RedHat or Mandrake (which I''ve also tried).

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
There are also Gtk-- and FOX-toolkit app. frameworks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement