• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
JensB

Starting Someone in Programming

This topic is 1023 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am asking on this forum as this is to my experience a great community - The question is not for me (I did 10 years or so in corporate and web programming and are now in PM, just fiddling with programming hobby stuff) but for a young relative.

He is fancying a career change and wants to understand "what it is like to be a programmer" - He is reasonable at maths, and has good skills with computers - but no programming skills.

He is signing up on some classes for it, but I wanted to maybe point him to a few simple tutorials - maybe stuff you would give to kids or early teens.

But rather than just trusting google for this I wanted to see if there are any recommendations from this community - Note this is more general programming than games specifically.

Advertisement

If your friend is pretty smart then I recommend pointing him towards the learn the hard way website: http://learncodethehardway.org.

Here he has a choice of several languages to use Python, Ruby or C and would also pick up a few other skills used in the real world by programmers.  Rather than teaching him a few "fluffy" tutorials it would teach him what program in the field is really like.

Good input, thanks guys - I was indeed thinking "Fluffy" but you make valid points as that would have less real world applications.

I would say C# or Java as languages in that case.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!